Long straight wire/ magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of angles when dealing with a "long straight" wire. The upper angle is considered to be pi because it is not visible, while the lower angle is 0 due to its small size. The conversation also mentions the relation between pi and 180º and the possibility of including a diagram for better understanding. It ends with a comment about a possible homework thread and the realization of the concept.
flame_m13
this seems a very basic question when i write it, but i don't understand this: when you are dealing with a "long straight" wire, a wire that you cannot see the top or bottom of, then why do you consider the upper angle to be pi?
i know why the lower angle is considered 0; it is so small... this might be more of a math question.

if i need to post a picture so you can understand what I am talking about, please let me know.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
is pi 180º?? And isn't a long straight line 180º? Not sure if that's what you wanted the diagram would be nice to see.

Also isn't there a homework thread lol ;)

aw, i feel dumb. that makes sense... let us never speak of this again.

1. How does a long straight wire create a magnetic field?

The flow of electric current through a wire creates a circular magnetic field around the wire. When the wire is straight, the magnetic field lines are also straight and parallel to the wire.

2. How can I calculate the strength of the magnetic field produced by a long straight wire?

The strength of the magnetic field depends on the distance from the wire and the amount of current flowing through it. You can use the Biot-Savart Law or the Right-Hand Rule to calculate the magnetic field strength at a specific point.

3. What is the direction of the magnetic field around a long straight wire?

The direction of the magnetic field is perpendicular to the wire and follows the Right-Hand Rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the current flow, your fingers will wrap around the wire in the direction of the magnetic field.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field change as you move away from a long straight wire?

The strength of the magnetic field decreases as you move further away from the wire. The relationship between distance and magnetic field strength follows an inverse square law, meaning that the strength decreases with the square of the distance.

5. Can a long straight wire produce a uniform magnetic field?

No, a long straight wire can only produce a uniform magnetic field if the wire is infinitely long. In reality, the magnetic field will become weaker as you move further away from the wire, making it non-uniform.