Quantum Spin Chain Problem: An Overview

In summary, the quantum spin chain problem is trying to solve a problem that is essentially the same as the 1D problem of classical physics, but with quantum effects allowed to be important.
genloz
what is the quantum spin chain problem?
From my research on the net I can see that its solved through exact diagonlization of some sort of matrix, but I can't work out exactly what the problem is...

Physics news on Phys.org
It is the 1D problem of having a line of spins that are allowed to interact with each other. How they interact depends on the details (Ising/XY/Heisenberg). There's the classical spin chain which is the thing you learn in undergrad stat mech, and then the quantum spin chain, which is the same problem but now you allow quantum effects to be important (treat spin as quantum angular momentum rather than a classical angular momentum).

That's useful... I didn't do undergrad stat mech but I had a look through some of what google had to say... I'm still interested in how they interact in the heiseneberg model... any thoughts? Thanks again!

genloz said:
That's useful... I didn't do undergrad stat mech but I had a look through some of what google had to say... I'm still interested in how they interact in the heiseneberg model... any thoughts? Thanks again!

Check out the textbook by Dan Schroeder on Stat Mech - it's very good. It doesn't do Heisenberg, but it does a good job with Ising, and is a great intro to the ideas of stat mech (partition functions, free energies, etc). First learn to walk before you learn to fly!

As for good refs on Heisenberg: I learned from my old prof's lectures (unfortunately he didn't put his notes on the web) so I don't really have a good reference. I think I'll leave it for someone with more experience than me (I'm a particle theorist, not a condensed matter person).

Good luck!

1. What is a quantum spin chain problem?

A quantum spin chain problem refers to a specific type of quantum many-body system where particles, typically electrons, interact with each other through their spin orientations. The goal of studying this problem is to understand how the spins of the particles are correlated and how they evolve over time.

2. What makes the quantum spin chain problem challenging to solve?

The quantum spin chain problem is challenging to solve because it involves a large number of interacting particles, making it a complex many-body problem. Additionally, quantum mechanics dictates that the spin orientations of the particles can only take on certain discrete values, adding to the complexity of the problem.

3. What are some applications of studying the quantum spin chain problem?

Studying the quantum spin chain problem has applications in various areas of physics, including condensed matter physics, quantum information theory, and quantum computing. It can also provide insights into the behavior of more complex quantum systems.

4. How is the quantum spin chain problem typically approached?

The quantum spin chain problem can be approached using a variety of techniques, including analytical methods, numerical simulations, and experimental studies. Each approach has its advantages and limitations, and often a combination of methods is used to gain a comprehensive understanding of the problem.

5. What are some current research topics related to the quantum spin chain problem?

Current research on the quantum spin chain problem includes investigating the effects of disorder and interactions on spin chains, exploring the behavior of spin chains in different dimensions, and studying the quantum phase transitions that occur in these systems. Other topics of interest include the use of spin chains for quantum information processing and the connection between spin chains and other quantum systems, such as quantum dots and cold atoms.