Bouyancy, Pressure, Spring Scale

In summary, the dimensions of the 11.4kg block of metal are 12.7cm x 9.9cm x 9.2cm, with the 12.7cm dimension being vertical and the top of the block being 4.94cm below the surface of the water. The force exerted by the water on the top of the block is not only due to the water pressure, but also the air pressure, which has a Pinitial of 101300Pa. The correct calculation for the force is F=PxA, where P is the sum of the water pressure and air pressure, and A is the area of the top of the block. The force exerted by the water on the bottom of the
ceeforcynthia
1. A 11.4kg block of metal is suspended from a scale and immersed in water. The timensions of the block are 12.7cm x 9.9cm x 9.2cm. The 12.7cm dimension is vertical, and the top of the block is 4.94cm below the surface of the water. The acceleration due to gravity is 9.8m/s^2.

What is the force exerted by the water on the top of the block? (Take Pinitial=101300Pa. Answer in N.

What is the force exerted by the water on the bottom of the block? Answer in units of N.

What is the reading on the spring scale? Answer in N.

What is the Buoyant Force? Answer in Units of N

P=F/A where A=area and F=force, P= pressure.

I used P=F/A for the first one and came up with 4.41N, not the right answer. I believe i found the area on the top of the block... and then used the pressure 101300. That didn't turn out. And then I used the same thing for part 6 ... well actually i don't know because I didn't write it down, but i got 15.745N. That wasn't right either. As for part 7 and 8, I don't see how you can find them out without knowing the density of water, which is 1000 so I used that, and it didn't turn out. Now I'm just stuck :( Help would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's start with the first one. F=P*A is correct. But your answer is way off. What did you get for the area?

Ok. I see what you did. The pressure on the top of the block is not only due to the 4.94cm of water, you also have to add air pressure, the Pinitial they gave you.

well for the first question, I forgot to convert to cm. However, I did use F=PxA with the pascals that they gave me, plus the area of the top of the block. Am I supposed to add the Pinitial also?

ceeforcynthia said:
well for the first question, I forgot to convert to cm. However, I did use F=PxA with the pascals that they gave me, plus the area of the top of the block. Am I supposed to add the Pinitial also?

Yes.

1. What is buoyancy and how does it work?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted on an object submerged in a fluid. It is caused by the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object. This pressure difference creates a net force that pushes the object upwards, allowing it to float. This phenomenon is known as Archimedes' principle.

2. How is pressure measured?

Pressure is measured using a unit called pascals (Pa), which is equivalent to one newton per square meter. This is typically done using a pressure gauge or manometer, which measures the force exerted by a fluid on a unit area.

3. What is the relationship between buoyancy and density?

Buoyancy and density are inversely related. The higher the density of an object, the lower its buoyancy and the more it will sink in a fluid. Similarly, objects with lower density will have higher buoyancy and will float more easily.

4. What is a spring scale and how does it measure weight?

A spring scale is a device used to measure weight or force. It consists of a coiled spring attached to a hook at one end and a pointer at the other. When an object is suspended from the hook, the spring stretches and the pointer moves along a scale, indicating the weight of the object.

5. How does air pressure affect buoyancy?

Air pressure does not directly affect buoyancy in liquids, as it is the pressure difference between the top and bottom of an object that determines buoyancy. However, air pressure can affect the density of an object, as it can compress or expand the object's volume, thereby changing its density and ultimately its buoyancy in a fluid.