Exploring the Mathematical Rule of Dividing by Zero

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of dividing by zero and its implications. It mentions that according to the first rule, dividing by smaller fractions results in larger outcomes. However, dividing by zero is not possible and is undefined. The conversation also delves into the idea of the universe starting from nothing, and if 0/0 would equal infinity, which is not a valid theory. It is also mentioned that numbers cannot be divided physically and taking calculus would help understand the mistake in thinking that dividing by zero is possible.
Arkarian
1. we know that the smaller the fraction we divide the bigger the outcome
1/0.5=2
1/025=4
i know that you are not supposed to divide by zero, because it messes up everything
but according to the first rule wouldn't it mean that 1/0=infinity
(i know it doesn't work if you reverse it, but please wait)
so the universe started from nothing/0, so if 0/0=infinity wouldn't that explain a lot, but how can you physically divide by zero?
if this theory stands, then wouldn't it mean that the universe can be destoyed and created by a black hole, since its 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why should 0/0 equal what 1/0 might equal?

0/100000000000000 = 0, 0/0.00000000000000001 = 0

The math part: the limit of 1/n as n approaches 0 is infinity, correct? However, this is very different than inccorectly stating that 1/0 = infinity.

As for the rest of the first post, I think that makes no sense whatsoever.

Summing zeros infinite times still results in 0. Summing 0.00(any number of zeros here)000001 infinite times results in infinity. A big difference.

Arkarian said:
1. we know that the smaller the fraction we divide the bigger the outcome
1/0.5=2
1/025=4
i know that you are not supposed to divide by zero, because it messes up everything
but according to the first rule wouldn't it mean that 1/0=infinity

Try solving for x:

1=x*0

You can't do it.

It's undefined.

(i know it doesn't work if you reverse it, but please wait)
so the universe started from nothing/0, so if 0/0=infinity wouldn't that explain a lot, but how can you physically divide by zero?

You can't.

Numbers cannot be divided physically.

if this theory stands, then wouldn't it mean that the universe can be destoyed and created by a black hole, since its 0.

It's not a theory. It doesn't explain anything.

I used to be interested in this divided by zero stuff because after I took pre-calculus in the 11th grade, I had no math class in the 12th grade. But when I took Calculus I in college, I realize the mistake I made.

Take calculus.

1. What is the mathematical rule of dividing by zero?

The mathematical rule of dividing by zero states that any number divided by zero is undefined. In other words, it is impossible to determine a value for the quotient when dividing by zero.

2. Why is it impossible to divide by zero?

Dividing by zero is impossible because it goes against the fundamental principles of mathematics. Division is the inverse operation of multiplication, and multiplying any number by zero results in a product of zero. Therefore, there is no number that can be multiplied by zero to get a specific result, making division by zero undefined.

3. What happens when you try to divide by zero?

When you try to divide by zero, you will either get an error or an undefined result, depending on the mathematical system being used. In some systems, such as basic arithmetic, dividing by zero will result in an error. In other systems, such as calculus, dividing by zero can lead to undefined or infinite limits.

4. Can you ever divide by zero?

No, it is not possible to divide by zero. Any attempt to do so will result in an undefined or infinite value.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule of dividing by zero?

No, there are no exceptions to the rule of dividing by zero. It is a fundamental principle in mathematics that any number divided by zero is undefined. This rule applies to all mathematical operations, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.