What is Diesel Fuel's Chemical Formula?

In summary: The higher the octane number, the more compression the fuel can withstand before detonating. This is why premium gasoline has a higher octane number.
spitfire10001
hello, my name is Jesse and I'm new to the forums. I'm in 10th grade chemistry and i have a question.

what is the chemical formula of diesel fuel? i searched it on google and found something about hydrocarbon and i have no idea what this is. please help

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The various grades of fuels are manufactured largely based upon their boiling points. A fraction boiling between one temperature and another will be given the name 'gasoline' or 'kerosene' or 'diesel'. For diesel fuel the standard boiling ranges are found in ASTM D-86 and D-2887. The chemistry of the mixture boiling in that range is complex and ever-changing. Recently, the sulfur content of diesel sold in america has been greatly reduced. There are Clean Diesel regulations that require lower amounts of a component known as 'polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons' (PAH) as well.

I am in no way an expert on gasoline or diesel, but from my understanding both are a mixture of many different ingredients, so I don't know if there is necessarilly a single chemicle formula for either. One way to approach it would be to find some of the major ingredients that go into diesel, and find the chemicle formulas for those separate ingredients.

Petrol and diesel are both mixtures of hydrocarbons. Petrol consists mainly of C7H18 and C8H18 heptane and octane. Premium petrol that you can buy from garages/petrol stations contains higher percentage of octane; ocatne releases more energy during conbustion. Diesel is a mixture of hydrcarbons with boiling points around 160C the hydrocarbons around this area are about C10H20 - C14H26. Don't regard this as being 100% correct but it should help give a general idea.

The primary difference between the "grades" of gasoline is what pressure ratio they can handle without knocking. If you have a car that doesn't need it, there is no benefit to higher octane gas.

1. What is the chemical formula for diesel fuel?

The chemical formula for diesel fuel is C12H24.

2. Why is diesel fuel's chemical formula different from gasoline's?

Diesel fuel's chemical formula is different from gasoline's because they are made up of different compounds. Diesel fuel is heavier and contains longer hydrocarbon chains compared to gasoline.

3. How does diesel fuel's chemical formula affect its properties?

The chemical formula of diesel fuel affects its properties by determining its molecular structure and the way it interacts with other substances. For example, the longer hydrocarbon chains in diesel fuel make it more viscous and less volatile compared to gasoline.

4. Can the chemical formula of diesel fuel vary?

Yes, the chemical formula of diesel fuel can vary depending on its source and refining process. However, the general formula of C12H24 is a common representation of diesel fuel.

5. Is diesel fuel's chemical formula harmful to the environment?

While diesel fuel's chemical formula is not inherently harmful to the environment, its combustion does release pollutants such as carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, and particulate matter. However, advancements in diesel engine technology have significantly reduced these emissions.