Browsing for a motor that is able to spin at 3500+ rpm

In summary, the conversation discusses the specifications for finding a motor that can spin at 3500+ rpm and hold 200 lbs. of weight. The main attributes to consider include the speed and tolerance, as well as factors such as torque, bearing loads, and balance. The motor's orientation and support also play a role, as well as the desired lifespan and budget. Moving the conversation to a specific forum may result in more helpful replies.
robhlee
Hi, i need help figuring out what to look for in a motor given certain specifications. If I am browsing for a motor that is able to spin at 3500+ rpm while holding 200 lbs. of weight, what attributes/values do i need to pay attention to?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to say exactly what your speed will be and what tolerance you can live with. For example, would a 3450 rpm ac motor do?

The 200 lb weight presents two issues: torque and bearing loads. Will the shaft be vertical or horizontal? Will the shaft be supported? Will the load be overhung? What will be the moment of inertia of the load? Will the load be statically balanced? Dynamically balanced? How long do you want the bearings to last? How much money do you want to spend?

Thread moved from General Physics to the ME forum. Should get more replies here.

1. What types of motors are able to spin at 3500+ rpm?

There are a variety of motors that are able to spin at 3500+ rpm, including brushless DC motors, servo motors, and high-speed AC motors.

2. What factors should I consider when browsing for a motor that can spin at high speeds?

Some important factors to consider when looking for a motor that can spin at 3500+ rpm include power source, torque, size, and efficiency.

3. Can I use a standard motor for high-speed applications?

It is not recommended to use a standard motor for high-speed applications as they are not designed for such high speeds and may overheat or fail.

4. What are the advantages of using a high-speed motor?

High-speed motors offer faster and more precise movements, higher power output, and improved efficiency compared to standard motors.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a high-speed motor?

Yes, it is important to follow all safety precautions and guidelines provided by the manufacturer when using a high-speed motor, as they can be dangerous if not handled properly.