Why does 90 degrees equal arccot(300/1000)?

In summary, the conversation was about a problem in a physics book involving arcsecant and the confusion over its solution. The correct angle was determined to be 73.3 degrees and it was pointed out that the formula should say arccotangent instead of arcsecant.
matthewmystar
Hey everyone,

I have recently developed a strong interest in physics. To the point where I am changing my major from computer science to computational physics. Anyway, I am having a problem understanding a formula in a book I have on relativity. The problem is:
90[tex]\circ[/tex] = arcsec(300/1000). Now I know some Trig. but I haven't done it in awhile and don't remember arcsec at all. Can anyone explain to me why that problem equals 90 degrees.

Thanks,
Daniel

Physics news on Phys.org
secx is equal to 1/cosx. arcsecx would then be equal to the angle that causes sec to equal x.

However, because cosx is always <= 1, then 1/cosx cannot be less than 1. Therefore, if 300/1000=3/10, arcsec(300/1000) shouldn't exist.

Math Jeans said:
secx is equal to 1/cosx. arcsecx would then be equal to the angle that causes sec to equal x.

However, because cosx is always <= 1, then 1/cosx cannot be less than 1. Therefore, if 300/1000=3/10, arcsec(300/1000) shouldn't exist.

That is was the conclusion I was coming up with also. Maybe I am misunderstanding the problem.
This is the exact problem from the book:http://books.google.com/books?id=fz...q9xmXR&sig=ZM6PZ9v6XRaqWad6pn9UxlufThQ&hl=en"

Last edited by a moderator:
The formula should say arccotangent, not arcsecant.

1. What is the current state of research in Physics?

The field of Physics is constantly evolving and new discoveries are being made all the time. Some of the current areas of research include quantum mechanics, particle physics, and cosmology. Scientists are also working on developing new technologies and theories to better understand the universe.

2. What are some recent breakthroughs in Physics?

In recent years, there have been several notable breakthroughs in Physics. These include the detection of gravitational waves, the discovery of the Higgs boson particle, and advancements in quantum computing. These breakthroughs have helped to further our understanding of the laws of the universe and have the potential to lead to even more discoveries in the future.

3. How has technology impacted the field of Physics?

Technology has had a huge impact on the field of Physics. It has allowed scientists to make more precise measurements, collect and analyze vast amounts of data, and develop new tools and instruments for research. Technology has also enabled advancements in fields such as astrophysics, quantum mechanics, and nuclear physics.

4. Why is there renewed interest in Physics?

In recent years, there has been a renewed interest in Physics due to the exciting breakthroughs and advancements being made in the field. Additionally, with the growing importance of technology and its impact on our daily lives, people are becoming more curious about the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe.

5. How can I get involved in Physics research?

If you are interested in getting involved in Physics research, you can start by studying the subject in school and pursuing a degree in Physics or a related field. You can also participate in internships or research programs at universities or research institutions. Networking with other scientists and attending conferences or workshops can also provide opportunities for involvement in research projects.