Making a Plywood Wind Tunnel for Heat Exchanger Testing

In summary, the person needs to build an adapter using plywood to connect the exhaust from an engine to a heat exchanger with dimensions of 60 cm in length and fins of 15cm*15cm. The exhaust has a temperature of 500'c and the process is illustrated in a 2MB image file. They are seeking help in building the adapter and are advised to use a better hosting site for the image. It is also suggested that they avoid calling it a wind tunnel.
shriramjegan
I need to make a wind tunnel of plywood for testing a plate fin heat exchanger . the exhaust from the engine is fed through the Wind tunnel and then to the heat exchanger. the heat exchanger of 60 cm in length and fins of 15cm*15cm are welded over it.the temperature of exhaust is around 500'c.

The diagram of the entire process is given in this link. It a 2MB image file.

Please help me on making the wind tunnel.

Thank You
http://rapidshare.com/files/103778121/wind_tunnel.bmp.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You really should consider a better host - not many people are going to be willing to view it there.

In any case, I did view it and I don't really understand what the question is. You just need to build an adapter between the exhaust and the heat exchanger. I wouldn't call it a wind tunnel, though.

Last edited:

1. What materials are needed to build a plywood wind tunnel for heat exchanger testing?

To build a plywood wind tunnel for heat exchanger testing, you will need the following materials:

• 4 sheets of plywood (4x8 feet)
  • 2x4 lumber
  • Screws and nails
  • Cardboard sheets
  • Plastic sheeting
  • Electric fan
  • Measuring tape
  • Saw
  • Drill

2. How do I construct the wind tunnel using plywood?

To construct the wind tunnel, follow these steps:

1. Use the 2x4 lumber to create a rectangular frame, with dimensions of 4x4 feet.
  2. Attach the plywood sheets to the frame using screws and nails.
  3. Cut a section out of one of the plywood sheets to create an opening for the fan.
  4. Cover the frame and remaining openings with plastic sheeting.
  5. Attach cardboard sheets to the inside of the tunnel to create smooth walls.
  6. Place the electric fan at one end of the tunnel, facing towards the opening.

3. How can I ensure that the wind tunnel is producing accurate results?

To ensure accurate results, make sure to:

• Seal any gaps or openings in the tunnel to prevent air leaks.
  • Measure and record the wind speed using an anemometer.
  • Use a temperature sensor to measure the air temperature inside the tunnel.
  • Regularly calibrate the fan to ensure consistent air flow.
  • Conduct multiple tests and average the results to minimize error.

4. Can I use the plywood wind tunnel for other types of testing?

Yes, the plywood wind tunnel can be used for other types of testing, such as aerodynamics or fluid dynamics experiments. However, the size and design of the tunnel may need to be adjusted accordingly.

5. How do I clean and maintain the wind tunnel?

To clean and maintain the wind tunnel, follow these steps:

1. Regularly clean and replace the cardboard sheets and plastic sheeting.
  2. Wipe down the interior of the tunnel with a damp cloth to remove any dust or debris.
  3. Check and clean the fan blades to ensure they are free of dirt or obstructions.
  4. Inspect and repair any damaged parts, such as screws or nails, to maintain the structural integrity of the tunnel.
  5. Regularly calibrate and test the fan for proper air flow.