Finding the electric field for a point above the center of a square loop

In summary, a student attempted to find the electric field generated by the charges that lie on the boundary of a square loop with a uniform line charge. He used the equation for electric field, integrated the vertical components, and solved for z.
JasonJo

Homework Statement

Find the electric field a distance z above the center of a square loop carrying a uniform line charge Q.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So we want the electric field generated by the charges that lie on the boundary of the "square loop" - it's just a square or a rhombus with equal lengths.

I attempted to solve this by splitting up the integral into 4 line integrals (each side of the square loop being an integral). Since the charge is uniform, I pull that out of the integral.

Furthermore, all the horizontal components of the electric fields cancels out so we need to integrate the vertical components, i.e. [tex]cos(\theta) = \frac{z}{\sqrt( (x-x_{0})^{2} + (y-y_{0})^{2} + z^{2})}[/tex]

Am I correct to assume that one of my integrals will look like this:

[tex]\frac{Qz}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\int_{0}^{a}\frac{dx}{((x-x_{0})^{2} +(y-y_{0})^{2} + z^{2})^{3/2}}[/tex]

Since [tex]R^{2} = (x-x_{0})^{2} + (y-y_{0})^{2} + z^{2}[/tex], i.e. assume the points on the square's boundary are (x, y, 0) and the point above the center of the square loop as coordinates [tex](x_{0}, y_{0}, z)[\tex]

z is a fixed number!

My questions are:
1) Would this be a correct expression for one of the line integrals?
2) How exactly do I integrate such an expression? Am I not seeing the antiderivative?

Sorry if I'm not being clear or concise, this is my first attempt at learning electromagnetism (I'm learning out of Griffiths and I am having a little trouble with all the notation and what not).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume we are talking about problem 2.4 in Griffiths?

We put the origon of our coordinate-system in the center of the square. Now we look at one of the sides - we can choose the right one, whose parameter is:

r'(t) = (a/2 ; t ; 0)

where t runs from -a/2 to a/2.

Our vector r (the one going from the origin to our field point) is just (0 ; 0 ; z). So we put this in the expression for the electric field:

[tex]
E = \frac{\lambda }{{4\pi \varepsilon _0 }}\int_{ - \frac{a}{2}}^{\frac{a}{2}} {\frac{z}{{\left( {\left( {\frac{a}{2}} \right)^2 + t^2 + z^2 } \right)^{\frac{3}{2}} }}} \,dt
[/tex]

This is the contribution in the z-direction, since all the other components cancel out. The other 3 sides give the same contribution, so just multiply the result by 4, and then you're set.

EDIT: Actually, I see this is what you have already done.. perhaps I should start reading threads before commenting them.

Last edited:
[tex]E = \frac{\lambda }{{4\pi \varepsilon _0 }}\int_{ - \frac{a}{2}}^{\frac{a}{2}} {\frac{z}{{\left( {\left( {\frac{a}{2}} \right)^2 + t^2 + z^2 } \right)^{\frac{3}{2}} }}} \,dt[/tex]

Looks right. But it only looks like that because of symmetri so that E only has a komponent in the z direction. Now just substitute the constants together and it looks completely like ex 2.1 in griffith :)

Hi.

Regarding this question, my friend said all you have to do is use Example 2.1 and substitute L for a/2 and z for [tex] \sqrt{z^{2} + (\frac {a} {2})^{2}} [/tex]

This gives the right answer... I understand the substitution for L however the substitution for z I can't get. Anyone care to shed some light?

I believe that they want you to look at the previous example with the wire. If we are to chop the square loop into infinitely thin wires, then there would be pairs of wires with opposing electric fields, except for the wire directly under the charge. Therefore you simply refer to the problem before and subsititue a/2 (square loop has side a, they integrated from 0 to L and doubled the answer) for L.

1. How do you find the electric field for a point above the center of a square loop?

To find the electric field for a point above the center of a square loop, you can use the formula:
E = (μ0 * I * a^2)/(2π * r^3) * [cos(θ1) + cos(θ2) + cos(θ3) + cos(θ4)],
where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the loop, a is the side length of the square loop, r is the distance from the center of the loop to the point, and θ1-4 are the angles between the line connecting the point and each side of the loop.

2. What is the significance of finding the electric field for a point above the center of a square loop?

Finding the electric field for a point above the center of a square loop can help us understand the behavior of electric fields in more complex systems. It also allows us to calculate the force on a charged particle placed at that point, which is important in many practical applications.

3. Can the formula for finding the electric field above a square loop be applied to other shapes?

No, the formula for finding the electric field above a square loop is specific to the geometry of a square loop. For other shapes, different formulas or methods may be needed to calculate the electric field at a point above the center.

4. How does the distance from the center of the loop affect the magnitude of the electric field?

The magnitude of the electric field decreases as the distance from the center of the loop increases. This is because the electric field follows an inverse square law, meaning that it decreases with the square of the distance from the source.

5. What is the direction of the electric field above the center of a square loop?

The direction of the electric field above the center of a square loop depends on the direction of the current in the loop and the position of the point relative to the loop. Generally, the electric field points away from the loop if the current is counterclockwise and towards the loop if the current is clockwise.