Kinematics, volcano eruption speed problem

In summary, we are given the initial speed of a lava bomb launched upward at 28 m/s. Using this information, we can calculate the speed and direction of the lava bomb after 2.0 seconds and 3.0 seconds. The formula to use is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration (in this case, gravity), and t is the time.
rsfancy
A volcano launches a lava bomb straight upward with an initial speed of 28 m/s.

a)Taking upward to be the positive direction, find the speed of the lava bomb 2.0 seconds after it is launched.

b)Taking upward to be the positive direction, find the direction of motion of the lava bomb 2.0 seconds after it is launched.
Upward or Downward?

c)Taking upward to be the positive direction, find the speed of the lava bomb 3.0 seconds after it is launched.

d)Taking upward to be the positive direction, find the direction of motion of the lava bomb 2.0 seconds after it is launched.
Upward or Downward?

I know this stuff is pretty basic, but my prof. won't explain or give us examples of anything,so I'm really confused. Anything to point me in the right direction would be helpful. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm going to specifically talk about part a, and then after you understand part a, the rest should be easy.

Ok, you have 3 knowns and you are searching for 1 unknown. Your knowns include: initial velocity, acceleration and time. Your unknown is the instantaneous velocity at a specified time. Now, what formula matches your knowns and unknown?

Wow, thank you very much. That definitely helped me see what was going on. I did get confused at first when you said that acceleration was known, and I did figure it would be gravity but the problem didnt explicitly state we should take into consideration, and I thought it would if we were meant to, as it did with the previous problems and that was my single problem with all of this...I can't even begin to explain how retarded I feel.

Thanks a lot for your help!

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that caused the motion.

2. How is kinematics related to volcano eruption speed?

Kinematics is used to study and calculate the speed of a volcano eruption by analyzing the motion of the erupting material.

3. What factors affect the speed of a volcano eruption?

The speed of a volcano eruption can be affected by various factors such as the type of magma, the shape of the volcano, and the presence of gas and other materials.

4. How can we calculate the speed of a volcano eruption?

The speed of a volcano eruption can be calculated using kinematic equations, which take into account the initial velocity, acceleration, and time of the eruption.

5. Can the speed of a volcano eruption be predicted?

While it is difficult to predict the exact speed of a volcano eruption, scientists use various methods such as monitoring volcanic activity and studying past eruptions to make informed predictions about the speed of future eruptions.