What do the compositions of functions represent?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding compositions of A, representing the total amount invested over multiple years with a given interest rate. The formula for the composition of n copies of A is (1.04)^nx, where n represents the number of compositions.
metalmagik

Homework Statement

If you invest x dollars at 4% interest compounded annually, then the amount A(x) = 1.04x. Find A o A, A o A o A, and A o A o A o A. What do these compositions represent? Find a formula for the composition of n copies of A.

Homework Equations

f o g = f(g(x))

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, well, I'm trying to work this out and I get really stuck.
If I do A(A(x)), that's A(A(x)) = 1.04(1.04x) correct? I'm not sure at all "what these compositions are supposed to represent. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Correct for A(A(x)).

Hint: If I have x dollars to start with, how many do I have after year 1? After year 2 and 3?

OH okay. I think I get it. So when they ask to find each composition, I just put A(A(x)), then A(A(A(x))) and so on?

I get that each composition represents the TOTAL amount that is invested up to year 2, 3, 4 and so on, but how do I find the formula for n copies of A?

Just as you say, A o A= (1.04)(1.04x)= (1.04)2x. So A o A o A= (1.04)(1.04)2x= (1.04)3x. A o A o A o A= (1.04)(1.04)3x= (1.04)4x. Now, suppose you had A o A o A o A o A o A o A o A, with eight A's. What would that be?

1. What is the definition of composition of functions?

The composition of two functions f and g is a new function denoted as f(g(x)) that is obtained by applying the output of g as the input of f. In other words, the output of g becomes the input of f.

2. How do you represent composition of functions using mathematical notation?

In mathematical notation, the composition of two functions f and g can be represented as (f ∘ g)(x) or f(g(x)). The symbol ∘ is read as "composed with" or "after".

3. Can any two functions be composed?

No, not all functions can be composed. In order for two functions to be composed, the output of the inner function (g) must be in the domain of the outer function (f). This means that the input of the outer function must be compatible with the output of the inner function.

4. What is the order of composition of functions?

The order of composition of functions is important. In other words, the order in which the functions are composed matters. For example, f(g(x)) is not the same as g(f(x)). This is because the output of g becomes the input of f, and the output of f becomes the final output of the composed function.

5. What are some real-life applications of composition of functions?

Composition of functions has many real-life applications, such as in computer programming, engineering, and economics. For example, in computer programming, functions can be composed to create more complex and efficient algorithms. In economics, the demand and supply functions can be composed to determine the equilibrium price and quantity in a market.