Should volume flow rate measurements be corrected for different conditions?

In summary: I think you should always make the appropriate corrections for each measurement. That calibration law was probably calibrated at standard conditions. However, the device might have to be corrected for the conditions in which it was used.
jenSG
Hi
I have a question about measuring volume flow rate with a laminar flow element.
I read the pressure difference across the element (mmH2o) and I get volume flow rate (cfm) from a calibration law. If that calibration law was obtained at standard conditions, would I have to correct it for different conditions? Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Not that I don't believe you, but I find it hard to believe that the unit was calibrated at standard conditions. The calibration was probably referenced to standard conditions. You might want to check the documentation with your unit. The ones we have have correction factors for calculating the actual flow for non standard conditions.

calb law is not at standard coditions ;-) I meant calibrated at certain conditions and then used at others.

It depends. Usually if you calibrate a measurement device its for a range of operating states or measurements. Otherwise there wouldn't be much of a point in calibrating it would there? What kind of change in conditions are you referring too? Pressure, temperature, less gravity, what? Are you talking about a wind tunnel or flow venturi or something?

A laminar flow element is a type of air flow meter. They are sometimes used as calibration masters.

The biggest thing that typically affects airflow measurements is the density of the air. But what determines if you need to make a correction is how big the error is. If it is less than, say, 5%, then it is probably inside the error margin and repeatability of the device and system.

That's one of the things about these particular instruments. They are often used as calibration standards. The 5% number is huge. I have one on my desk right now that measures up to 150 scfm. It's not much but it does require corrections even for small variations if you need that level of accuracy. These guys are well beyond pitot tubes.

thanks for replying.
Should I correct the air volume flow rate for the inlet pressure ratio? I mean, if the calib. law is
Q [cfm] = (calib. coeff.) * Delta_h [mmH2O]
should it be Q [cfm] = (calib. coeff.) * Delta_h [mmH2O]* P_upstream/P_atm ?

The equations for many properties of air as a function of temperature can be found in ASTM C-680

Also, be very careful with "Standard Conditions" my "Standard" for air properties is 60 F but with a slight change of 8 degrees I almost lost my whole heat exchanger design once.

1. What is volume flow rate?

Volume flow rate is the amount of fluid or gas that passes through a specific cross-sectional area in a given amount of time. It is typically measured in units of volume per unit time, such as liters per second or cubic feet per minute.

2. How is volume flow rate measured?

Volume flow rate can be measured using a variety of methods, depending on the type of fluid or gas being measured. Some common methods include using a flow meter, a pitot tube, or a Venturi tube. These devices use different principles to accurately measure the volume flow rate.

3. What factors can affect volume flow rate?

Several factors can affect volume flow rate, including the properties of the fluid or gas being measured (such as density and viscosity), the size and shape of the measuring device, and the velocity of the fluid or gas. Additionally, changes in temperature and pressure can also impact the volume flow rate.

4. Why is measuring volume flow rate important?

Measuring volume flow rate is important in many scientific and engineering applications. It allows us to better understand how fluids and gases move through various systems, and it can help us monitor and control these processes. It is also important in industries such as manufacturing, where accurate volume flow rate measurements are necessary for quality control and efficiency.

5. What are some common units for volume flow rate?

Volume flow rate can be expressed in a variety of units, depending on the specific application. Some common units include liters per second, cubic meters per hour, gallons per minute, and cubic feet per minute. It is important to use the appropriate units and conversions when measuring and comparing volume flow rates.