Recoil Velocity: Solving Numerical Problems in Momentum and Energy

• Thread starter Woopy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics homework problem involving calculating recoil velocity of a bullet from a gun. The conversation covers the use of the equation (m1+m2)v=m1v1'+m2v2' and the correct assignment of velocity values. The final solution involves observing Newton's Third Law of Action/Reaction for each bullet/gun combination.
Woopy

Homework Statement

http://hypertextbook.com/physics/mechanics/momentum-energy/problems.shtml

It's numerical #1, filling out the table, the part I am stuck on is recoil velocity. I have figured out the bullet momentum and bullet energy, however.

Homework Equations

(m1+m2)v=m1v1'+m2v2'

The Attempt at a Solution

The part that I don't understand is what is m2? M1 would be the mass of the bullet, but is the mass of the gun suppose to be m2?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Woopy said:
... is the mass of the gun suppose to be m2?
Most likely.

Theres 3 different velocities, and I don't see how there can be. V is recoil velocity what I am solving for, v1 would be the muzzle velocity, and v2 as the velocity of the gun (0 m/s?)

You have your velocity assignments backwards. Treat this like an "inverse inelastic collision". That means that you begin with the two objects combined (like you have in your equation). So, if v is the velocity of the combined object (bullet inside gun before it is fired), then what do you think should be v? Hint: it isn't recoil.

(.0097kg + 4.4kg)(0 m/s) = (.0097kg)(890m/s)+ (4.4kg)(v2') ?

-4.4kg(v2') = 8.633 kgm/s
v2' = -1.96 m/s (since its a recoil, it'd go backwards so negative.

Woopy said:
Theres 3 different velocities, and I don't see how there can be. V is recoil velocity what I am solving for, v1 would be the muzzle velocity, and v2 as the velocity of the gun (0 m/s?)

Your table has three different bullets fired from 3 different guns with different barrel lengths and total masses.

Filling out the table is really observing Newton's Third Law of Action/Reaction for each bullet/gun combination.

Whatever momentum the bullet leaves the gun with will be equal to the momentum of the gun in the opposite direction.

MVbullet = - MVgun

I didn't check your numerical calculation this time, but your approach looks good.

1. What is recoil velocity?

Recoil velocity is the velocity that an object gains as a result of the conservation of momentum and energy after a collision or explosion.

2. How do you calculate recoil velocity?

Recoil velocity can be calculated using the equation v = (m1 * u1 + m2 * u2) / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the colliding objects and u1 and u2 are their initial velocities.

3. What is the difference between recoil velocity and recoil energy?

Recoil velocity is a measure of the speed of an object after a collision, while recoil energy is a measure of the kinetic energy gained by the object. They are related by the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

4. How does the conservation of momentum and energy apply to recoil velocity?

The conservation of momentum and energy states that the total momentum and energy of a system remains constant before and after a collision or explosion. This means that the total momentum and energy of the objects involved in the event must be equal before and after, and can be used to calculate the recoil velocity.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating recoil velocity?

Calculating recoil velocity is important in fields such as physics, engineering, and ballistics. It is used to design and test weapons, understand the effects of collisions in car accidents, and study the behavior of particles in particle accelerators.