Sequential File output in Fortran

In summary, the user is looking for help with adding commands to a Fortran program to output data files at specified times during a simulation. They are struggling with finding a way for Fortran to name the files in numerical order. A code example is provided for reference.
ugresearcher
Hello,
I am currently using a Fortran program to run a simulation which involves an explicit differentiation loop. The program currently plots simulation data at specified time intervals using a subroutine with another program. I'd like to have the program also output data files at these specified times. I'd like to add one set of commands into the loop for the program to output the data files, but I cannot figure out a way for Fortran to name the files in some numerical order. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Technology news on Phys.org
Here's an example:
Code:
      IMPLICIT INTEGER(I-N), REAL*8(A-H,O-Z)
      N=5
      CHARACTER *12 FN
      DO 5 I=1,N
      WRITE(FN,10)I
      WRITE(6,*)FN
      OPEN(1,FILE=FN)
      CLOSE(1)
    5 CONTINUE
   10 FORMAT('INPUT',I3.3,'.FMT')
      STOP
      END
By modifying the code according to your needs, you should be able to achieve what you want to do.

See also post:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=307970

I understand your need to efficiently output data files during your simulation. In Fortran, you can use the "OPEN" statement to create sequential files and the "WRITE" statement to write data to these files. To name the files in a numerical order, you can use a counter variable within your loop and concatenate it with the file name using the "TRIM" function. This will create files with names such as "data1.txt", "data2.txt", etc. Alternatively, you can use the "NEWUNIT" specifier in the "OPEN" statement to automatically assign a unique unit number to each file, eliminating the need for a counter variable. I hope this helps.

1. What is a sequential file in Fortran?

A sequential file in Fortran is a type of file where the data is stored in a sequential order, meaning that each record is stored one after the other. This type of file is commonly used for input and output operations in Fortran programs.

2. How do I create a sequential file output in Fortran?

To create a sequential file output in Fortran, you can use the OPEN statement with the FILE='filename' and the STATUS='NEW' options. This will create a new file with the specified filename and allow you to write data to it using the WRITE statement.

3. Can I append data to a sequential file in Fortran?

Yes, you can append data to a sequential file in Fortran by using the OPEN statement with the STATUS='OLD' option. This will open an existing file for writing and any data you write using the WRITE statement will be appended to the end of the file.

4. How do I read data from a sequential file in Fortran?

To read data from a sequential file in Fortran, you can use the READ statement with the FILE='filename' option. This will read the data from the specified file and store it in the variables you specify in the READ statement.

5. Can I delete a sequential file in Fortran?

Yes, you can delete a sequential file in Fortran by using the INQUIRE statement with the FILE='filename' and the STATUS='EXISTS' options. If the file exists, you can use the DELETE statement to delete it. However, it is important to note that this action is permanent and cannot be undone.