Friction and the difference between rear-wheel, front-wheel and four-wheel

In summary: Hi there! To find the numbers, you need to use the equations provided in the problem and solve for the angle \alpha. In this case, for (b), you need to use the equation 0.875*15cos\alpha+0.475*15sin\alpha-2.675NB=0, and substitute the value for NB which is 15sin\alpha. This will give you an equation with only one unknown, \alpha. Then you can use a calculator or solve the equation algebraically to find the value of \alpha. I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.
piacere_space
The car weighs 15kN. The coefficient of static friction between the car tires and the road is [tex]\mu[/tex]s=0.5. Determine the steepest grade (the largest value of the angle of [tex]\alpha[/tex]) the car can drive up at constant speed if the car has (a) rear-wheel drive, (b) front-wheel drive, and (c) four-wheel drive.
image002.gif

My answers are (a)10.18o (b)17.17o (c)26.57o. I just wonder if they are really correct. Thanks!

Sorry yeah I forgot to post my attempt...

Let the normal forces at the rear wheel and the front wheel be NA and NB respectively. Also let the contact points at the rear and front wheel be A and B respectively.

(a)(1)0.5NA-15sin[tex]\alpha[/tex]=0 then NA=30sin[tex]\alpha[/tex] (2)0.875*15cos[tex]\alpha[/tex]+0.475*15sin[tex]\alpha[/tex]-2.675NA=0 then 13.125cos[tex]\alpha[/tex]+7.125sin[tex]\alpha[/tex]-2.675NA=0. Now from (1) and (2) tan[tex]\alpha[/tex]=7/39 then [tex]\alpha[/tex]=10.18o

Here I assume the rolling friction at the point B is ignorable. (1) is about the equilibrium of all forces in the horizontal direction. (2) is about the equations of moments around B.

Basically I did the same things for (b) and (c).

(b)tan[tex]\alpha[/tex]=72/233 then [tex]\alpha[/tex]=17.17o

(c)tan[tex]\alpha[/tex]=0.5 then [tex]\alpha[/tex]=26.57o

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    66 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
With a rough calc, they seem to be in the ballpark; if you post your attempt and show how you arrived at these figures, perhaps someone can check the math and method.

piacere_space said:
The car weighs 15kN. The coefficient of static friction between the car tires and the road is [tex]\mu[/tex]s=0.5. Determine the steepest grade (the largest value of the angle of [tex]\alpha[/tex]) the car can drive up at constant speed if the car has (a) rear-wheel drive, (b) front-wheel drive, and (c) four-wheel drive. View attachment 20672
My answers are (a)10.18o (b)17.17o (c)26.57o. I just wonder if they are really correct. Thanks!

Sorry yeah I forgot to post my attempt...

Let the normal forces at the rear wheel and the front wheel be NA and NB respectively. Also let the contact points at the rear and front wheel be A and B respectively.

(a)(1)0.5NA-15sin[tex]\alpha[/tex]=0 then NA=30sin[tex]\alpha[/tex] (2)0.875*15cos[tex]\alpha[/tex]+0.475*15sin[tex]\alpha[/tex]-2.675NA=0 then 13.125cos[tex]\alpha[/tex]+7.125sin[tex]\alpha[/tex]-2.675NA=0. Now from (1) and (2) tan[tex]\alpha[/tex]=7/39 then [tex]\alpha[/tex]=10.18o

Here I assume the rolling friction at the point B is ignorable. (1) is about the equilibrium of all forces in the horizontal direction. (2) is about the equations of moments around B.

Basically I did the same things for (b) and (c).

(b)tan[tex]\alpha[/tex]=72/233 then [tex]\alpha[/tex]=17.17o

(c)tan[tex]\alpha[/tex]=0.5 then [tex]\alpha[/tex]=26.57o
Sorry for not responding sooner.
I agree exactly with your method and answers, nice work! Intuitively, one would expect an all wheel drive vehicle to handle a grade steeper than front wheel or rear wheel drive only. But between front and rear wheel drive, you've got to crunch out the numbers to see which amongst the two can handle the steeper grade, because it depends on the location of the car's center of gravity. You've shown that quite nicely.

hello. i have a question. How do you do to find these numbers i don't understand so much.. 72/233... its the answer of question B.. thank you so much.

Overall, your calculations and answers seem to be correct. You have correctly used the equations for equilibrium and moments to find the maximum angle at which the car can drive up a slope at constant speed for each type of drive. Good job!

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces and the interlocking of the molecules on those surfaces.

2. How does friction affect the performance of a vehicle?

Friction plays a crucial role in the performance of a vehicle. It helps with traction, which is the ability of the tires to grip the road and provide control and stability. Friction also affects the acceleration, braking, and steering of a vehicle.

3. What is the difference between rear-wheel, front-wheel, and four-wheel drive?

Rear-wheel drive (RWD) means that the power from the engine is transmitted to the rear wheels of a vehicle. Front-wheel drive (FWD) means that the power is transmitted to the front wheels. Four-wheel drive (4WD) means that all four wheels are receiving power from the engine.

4. How does friction differ between rear-wheel, front-wheel, and four-wheel drive vehicles?

The amount of friction experienced by each type of vehicle can vary. RWD vehicles tend to have better traction and handling on dry roads because the weight of the vehicle is distributed more evenly between the front and rear wheels. FWD vehicles tend to have better traction on wet or slippery roads because the weight of the engine is over the front wheels. 4WD vehicles have the advantage of having all four wheels powered, which can provide better traction in off-road or slippery conditions.

5. How can friction be reduced for better performance?

Friction can be reduced in vehicles by using low-resistance tires, lubricants, and aerodynamic designs. In addition, regular maintenance and proper tire inflation can also help reduce friction and improve performance. However, it is important to note that a certain level of friction is necessary for safe and efficient driving, so it should not be completely eliminated.