Radiation Dose Rate Calculations for a 1 cm Square

In summary: If the tissue is absorbing all of the radiation then the power (or energy) going into the tissue would be the same as the power (or energy) coming out of the tissue. If the tissue was not absorbing the radiation then the power going into the tissue would be greater than the power coming out of the tissue. In summary, integrating the dose rate over all space would just give you the total amount of radiation that has been absorbed by the tissue.
pone

Homework Statement

Four “point” gamma ray sources are permanently implanted in tissue so that the sources are at the corners of a 1 cm X 1 cm square. Each source has an initial activity of 15 MBq (1 Bq = one decay per second), every decay produces a 30 keV gamma ray, and the half-life is 60 days. The dose rate from each source falls off with distance, r, according to

Dose Rate = (Constant)(exp -ur)(r-2)

where u = 0.25 cm-1. Calculate the total dose delivered by the implanted sources to a point at the centre of the square. Sketch the isodose distribution in the plane that contains all of the sources.

Hint: Use conservation of energy to evaluate the constant in the equation above.

3. The Attempt at a Solution
This question confuses me because a) there is no real time frame given. There is a half life, but I am unsure how to use it. Also, b) when evaluating the Constant, I do not get proper units. The way I have been looking at it is:
constant = (15 x 10^6 decay/s)(30,000 eV)(1.602 x 10^-19 J/eV) which gives me J/s.
I know this must be wrong, but do not know where to go from here. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
pone said:
This question confuses me because a) there is no real time frame given. There is a half life, but I am unsure how to use it.

The given half-life allows you to calculate the activity of each source at a given time.

Also, b) when evaluating the Constant, I do not get proper units. The way I have been looking at it is:
constant = (15 x 10^6 decay/s)(30,000 eV)(1.602 x 10^-19 J/eV) which gives me J/s.
I know this must be wrong, but do not know where to go from here. Any help?

(15 x 10^6 decay/s)(30,000 eV)(1.602 x 10^-19 J/eV) just gives you the initial rate at which each source point loses energy (in other words, the initial power radiated from each source), why would this be equal to the constant you are trying to determine?

What are the units of dose rate? What what you expect to get if you integrated the dose rate over all space?

I know that the units for dose rate is Gray/s or Joules/kg-second, and I figured I could just juggle around with those initial values that were given, to get my final result for the constant. Clearly that did not work out. As for what would happen if the dose rate were integrated over all space though, I am a little unsure. If I integrated over time wouldn't I just get the total dose? I am still just really blank in how to find this constant!

Last edited:
Sorry, I meant to ask, "what would you expect to get if you integrated the mass density of the tissue times the dose rate over the entire volume of the tissue"?...Think about energy/power conservation.

1. What is a radiation dose rate calculation?

A radiation dose rate calculation is a method used to determine the amount of radiation being emitted per unit of time from a specific source, typically measured in units of sieverts per hour (Sv/hr).

2. How is the radiation dose rate calculated for a 1 cm square?

The radiation dose rate for a 1 cm square is calculated by dividing the total radiation emitted from the source by the area of the square. This calculation takes into account factors such as distance from the source, type of radiation, and shielding materials.

3. Why is it important to calculate the radiation dose rate for a 1 cm square?

Calculating the radiation dose rate for a 1 cm square allows scientists to determine the potential health risks associated with exposure to that specific source. It also helps in determining appropriate safety measures and precautions to minimize exposure.

4. What factors can affect the radiation dose rate for a 1 cm square?

The radiation dose rate for a 1 cm square can be affected by various factors such as the type of radiation (alpha, beta, gamma), the distance from the source, the amount of shielding present, and the half-life of the radioactive material.

5. How can radiation dose rate calculations for a 1 cm square be used in real-world applications?

Radiation dose rate calculations for a 1 cm square are used in many real-world applications such as nuclear power plants, medical facilities, and environmental monitoring. These calculations help ensure the safety of workers and the public by determining safe levels of exposure and implementing appropriate safety measures.