Understanding the Twin Paradox: Breaking the Symmetry in Time Dilation

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time dilation and how it relates to the relative speed between two objects. It is explained that if a person is in a spaceship moving at a speed close to the speed of light relative to Earth, time will pass much slower for them. This is due to length contraction and the relativity of simultaneity. However, the confusion arises when considering the twin paradox and why only one twin ages. This is because the symmetry is broken when one twin accelerates, leading to different observations between the two twins. Further research on the twin paradox is recommended for a better understanding.
gsingh2011
So what I've heard so far is that if you're in a spaceship and you're moving at a speed close to the speed of light relative to the Earth then what seems like 1 hour for you could be something like 1 million years for people on earth. This made sense to me until I realized you're moving relative to the earth, so if you saw a clock on the Earth it would be moving slower for you. So why does one hour in the spaceship take 1 million years on Earth and not one hour on Earth take a million years on the spaceship? If they're relative to each other both make sense...

Physics news on Phys.org
gsingh2011 said:
So what I've heard so far is that if you're in a spaceship and you're moving at a speed close to the speed of light relative to the Earth then what seems like 1 hour for you could be something like 1 million years for people on earth.
OK.
This made sense to me until I realized you're moving relative to the earth, so if you saw a clock on the Earth it would be moving slower for you.
Right!
So why does one hour in the spaceship take 1 million years on Earth and not one hour on Earth take a million years on the spaceship?
But it does! According to spaceship observers, Earth clocks run slow; according to Earth observers, spaceship clocks run slow.
If they're relative to each other both make sense...
Correct! The effect is completely symmetric.

(Note that to fully understand this, you'll need to consider length contraction and the relativity of simultaneity as well as time dilation. These three effects work together.)

The reason this didn't make sense to me is because I was thinking of the twin paradox, and I was wondering why only one twin got older. If both clocks were moving slow relative to each other, then why does only one get older? Is this due to the length contractions and simultaneity parts that I am missing? I don't see how...

gsingh2011 said:
The reason this didn't make sense to me is because I was thinking of the twin paradox, and I was wondering why only one twin got older. If both clocks were moving slow relative to each other, then why does only one get older? Is this due to the length contractions and simultaneity parts that I am missing? I don't see how...
In the case of the twin paradox, the symmetry is broken: One of the twins must turn around and thus accelerate, while the stay-at-home twin never accelerates.

Please do a search on "twin paradox" and you'll find many detailed discussions.

1. What is the concept of time dilation in relativity?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of relativity, where time appears to pass at different rates for two observers in relative motion. It states that the faster an object moves, the slower time passes for that object in relation to a stationary observer.

2. How does time dilation affect our daily lives?

Time dilation has a very small effect on our daily lives due to the relatively low speeds at which we move. However, it is a crucial factor in modern technologies such as GPS, which uses precise time measurements to determine location. Without accounting for time dilation, the GPS system would be off by several kilometers.

3. Can time dilation be observed directly?

No, time dilation cannot be observed directly as it is a relative concept. It can only be observed by comparing the time measurements of two observers in relative motion. However, its effects have been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations, such as the famous "twin paradox" where one twin ages slower than the other due to traveling at high speeds.

4. Does time dilation occur in all situations?

Yes, time dilation occurs in all situations where objects are in relative motion. It is a fundamental aspect of the theory of relativity and has been proven to be accurate in countless experiments and observations.

5. Is time dilation the same as time travel?

No, time dilation is not the same as time travel. Time dilation only affects the perception of time for observers in relative motion, while time travel refers to the concept of traveling to different points in time. Time dilation does not allow for traveling back or forward in time, but rather affects the rate at which time passes for an object in motion.