Congruence of Intergers and modular arthimetic

• Thread starter doggie_Walkes
  • Start date
Similarly, for a number in the integer modulo 5 arithmetic, the digit in the ones' place is the coefficient of 50. For example, take 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6, all modulo 5. 1*50 = 50 = 0, 2*50 = 100 = 0, 3*50 = 150 = 0, 4*50 = 200 = 0, 5*50 = 250 = 0, 6*50 = 300 = 0. So the ones' digit in each of these numbers is 0. For 7*50, the ones' digit is 1, for
doggie_Walkes
Hey I am just wondeirng if I have to prove a congruence,

such as

c^3 is congruent to d modulo 7,

where d is set of {0,1 ,7}

So in this problem to prove this example all I need to do is prove that it is a equivalence relation?

So it is reflexsive, symmetric, and transitive?

Is this correct?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Assuming c is an integer, I believe that what you're trying to prove is that
[tex]c^3 \equiv 0~mod~7[/tex]
or
[tex]c^3 \equiv 1~mod~7[/tex]

If so, it's not true. 33 = 27 [itex]\equiv[/itex] 6 mod 7, and 53 = 125[itex]\equiv[/itex] 6 mod 7.

Thanks mark. I just had a bit of another question if I could ask you ask well?

It just how do i show

b^3 +b^2 +1 does not divide by 5

how do i prove it.

Im thinking this way,
cause i know that b^3 +b^2 +1 is not congruent to 0(mod5)

therefore we use contradition to prove it. I am just not sure how to use contradition? or maybe I am looking at this in a completely bad light? maybe there is another method?

If you meant "[itex]c^3[/itex] is congruent to one of 0, 1, 6 (mod 7)" then a perfectly valid way to do it is to look at all 7 possibilities: [itex]0^3= 0[/itex], [itex]1^3= 1[/itex], [itex]2^3= 8= 1[/itex], [itex]3^3= 27= 6[/itex], [itex]4^3= 64= 1[/itex], [itex]5^3= 125= 6[/itex], [itex]6^3= 216= 6[/itex], all "mod 7".

If b^3 + b^2 + 1 is divisible by 5, the ones' digit in b^3 + b^2 + 1 has to be 0 or 5. Another way to say this is that b^3 + b^2 + 1 [itex]\equiv[/itex] 0 mod 5.

Work with the integers modulo 5.
If b [itex]\equiv[/itex] 0 mod 5, then b^3 [itex]\equiv[/itex] 0 mod 5, b^2 [itex]\equiv[/itex] 0 mod 5, so b^3 + b^2 + 1 [itex]\equiv[/itex] 1 mod 5. This means that the ones' digit has to be either 1 or 9.

If b [itex]\equiv[/itex] 1 mod 5, then b^3 [itex]\equiv[/itex] 1 mod 5, b^2 [itex]\equiv[/itex] 1 mod 5, so b^3 + b^2 + 1 [itex]\equiv[/itex] 3 mod 5. This means that the ones' digit has to be either 3 or 8. Because b^3 + b^2 + 1 is always odd, you'll never get an 8 digit in the ones' place, so for this case, the ones' digit has to be 3.

Continue this process for the other three equivalence classes to complete this proof.

Hey mark, sorry for the late reply,

Im just wondering what you mean by ones' digit

In the decimal number system, each digit in the numeric representation indicates a power of 10. For example, 435 = 4 * 102 + 3 * 101 + 5 * 100. So 435 is 4 hundreds + 3 tens + 5 ones. The digit in the ones' place is 5 for this number.

What is congruence of integers?

Congruence of integers refers to the concept of two integers having the same remainder when divided by a third integer. In other words, if two integers have the same remainder when divided by a certain number, they are considered congruent.

What is modular arithmetic?

Modular arithmetic is a mathematical system that deals with operations on congruent integers. It involves performing operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division on integers that are congruent to each other.

What are the properties of congruence?

The properties of congruence include:

• Reflexive property: a number is congruent to itself.
  • Symmetric property: if a is congruent to b, then b is congruent to a.
  • Transitive property: if a is congruent to b and b is congruent to c, then a is congruent to c.
  • Addition property: if a is congruent to b, then a + c is congruent to b + c.
  • Multiplication property: if a is congruent to b, then ac is congruent to bc.

Why is modular arithmetic useful?

Modular arithmetic has many practical applications, including:

• Encryption and decryption in computer science and cryptography
  • Calculating time and date in calendars
  • Detecting and correcting errors in data transmission
  • Generating random numbers
  • Creating secure passwords

How is modular arithmetic related to number theory?

Modular arithmetic is a fundamental concept in number theory, which is the branch of mathematics that studies the properties of integers. It is used to prove theorems and solve problems related to prime numbers, factorization, and other important topics in number theory.