Saving a Figure from Wiki to EPS for Latex

In summary: Then, another list will appear. Get the one that says "ImageMagick-[version]-[platform]-static.exe".In summary, the conversation discusses inserting a figure into a Latex document. The speaker mentions taking a figure from wiki and saving it on Paint, but needs to save it as an eps file to insert it in Latex. They mention using ImageMagick to convert the file type and using .png files in Latex. The conversation also touches on which compiler to use and which interface to download for ImageMagick.
Fairy111
I would like to insert a figure into Latex. I have taken the figure from wiki and saved it on Paint.

How do I save it as an eps file? As it needs to be saved as this type to enable me to insert it in my Latex document.

Thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.imagemagick.org" will convert just about any image file type to another image file type.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually use .png files in LAtex and you can save as straight fro paint

If you use .png what would be the code you put into Latex?
Do you need to download any other packages for Latex before you can do this?

Thankyou

Also, nbo10, I am slightly confused when i click on the link imagemagick - which interface do i download?

Thanks

Hi there,

It will depend on the compiler choice you make. If you choose to compile your code with dvips, you will need to have your figures in encapsulated postscript. If you choose pdftex as your compiler, you can save your files in .jpg, .pdf, .png and others.

Cheers

Fairy111 said:
Also, nbo10, I am slightly confused when i click on the link imagemagick - which interface do i download?

Thanks

It depends on your OS. On the lefthand side of the screen, under binary Releases choose your OS.

1. How do I save a figure from Wiki to EPS for Latex?

To save a figure from Wiki to EPS for Latex, you can follow these steps:
1. Right-click on the image and select "Save Image As"
2. Choose the EPS format from the drop-down menu
3. Click "Save" to download the EPS file to your computer
4. Open the EPS file in a program like Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape
5. Save the file as a PDF or EPS for use in Latex

2. What is the benefit of saving a figure from Wiki to EPS for Latex?

Saving a figure from Wiki to EPS for Latex allows for high-quality vector graphics to be used in your Latex document. This ensures that the figure will look crisp and clear, regardless of the size or scaling of the image.

3. Can I use any figure from Wiki for my Latex document?

While most images on Wiki are available for use, it is important to check the licensing and usage rights for each individual image before using it in your Latex document. Some images may have restrictions or require attribution.

4. How do I include the saved figure in my Latex document?

To include the saved figure in your Latex document, you can use the \includegraphics command and specify the file path to the EPS file. You may also need to use the \usepackage{graphicx} command in your preamble to enable the use of graphics in your document.

5. Can I edit the saved figure in Latex after saving it from Wiki to EPS?

No, Latex is not a graphics editing software. If you need to make changes to the figure, you will need to do so in a graphics editing program before saving it as an EPS for use in Latex.