Efficiently Import Data with MATLAB's xlsread Function | Tips & Tricks

In summary, the "xlsread" function in MATLAB can be used to import data from an Excel spreadsheet, with the option to specify the range of rows to be imported using variables in the code. The "sprintf()" function can also be used to create the necessary input string.
mikeph
MATLAB "xlsread" function

Hello

I am trying to import some data from an Excel spreadsheet, however the range is a variable in my code. For example, I have "t" and "b" as numbers which specify the top and bottom rows of the data I need.

For example I need:

A = xlsread('test.xls','A3:A10');

however I need to to import, in general, A"t" to A"b", where t and b are the row numbers.

The Excel file is very large (>10^5 rows) so I would very much like to avoid importing the entire spreadsheet and then filtering it MATLAB.

Thanks for any help,
Mike

Physics news on Phys.org

You can use the "sprintf()" function in MATLAB to create the necessary input string.

It is very similar to the C version in terms of usage. If you haven't used it, just search through the MATLAB help documentation.

Hello, that is brilliant, does exactly what I need. Thanks a lot.

1. How do I use the xlsread function in MATLAB?

To use the xlsread function in MATLAB, you first need to have the Microsoft Excel software installed on your computer. Then, you can simply call the function with the name of the Excel file you want to import data from as the input argument, followed by the range of cells you want to import (optional) and any additional parameters you want to specify.

2. Can I import data from multiple sheets in an Excel file using xlsread?

Yes, you can use the optional input argument 'Sheet' to specify which sheet(s) you want to import data from. You can also use the 'Range' input argument to specify the specific cells or range of cells you want to import data from within each sheet.

3. How can I efficiently import large datasets using xlsread?

To efficiently import large datasets using xlsread, you can use the optional input argument 'Basic' set to 'true'. This will disable the automatic data type detection and import the data as a matrix of cells, which can then be converted to the desired data type using the 'cell2mat' function.

4. How do I handle missing or invalid data during the import using xlsread?

You can use the optional input argument 'TreatAsEmpty' to specify which values should be treated as empty cells during the import. You can also use the 'Nan' or 'Inf' functions to replace these values with NaN or Inf, respectively.

5. Can I customize the import options for different types of data using xlsread?

Yes, you can use the optional input argument 'Basic' set to 'false' to enable the use of different import options for different types of data. This allows you to specify the data type, delimiter, and other parameters for each column of data in the Excel file.