Distinguishing between flatness

• Thread starter Ranku
  • Start date
In summary: Do we know if the universe was flat before 5 Gy ago, i.e., before it started expanding acceleratively due to dark energy?It's possible, but it's not clear. It would require a lot of evidence to say for certain. If the universe was flat before 5 Gy ago, that would be irrefutable proof of inflation.
Ranku
The universe is observed to be flat. This is due to its energy density, and also due to purported inflation. How do we distinguish between the contribution of each toward flatness?

Space news on Phys.org
Ranku said:
The universe is observed to be flat. This is due to its energy density, and also due to purported inflation. How do we distinguish between the contribution of each toward flatness?

If I understand what you have in mind, then there is no need to distinguish because there are two types of causation.

The two causes are not mutually exclusive.

If inflation occurred, and was the main cause of spatial flatness, then inflation created the conditions for the energy density to be right.

The historical cause (a brief episode in the first fraction second) prepared for the immediate presentday circumstance.

And so it is the same thing. There is no need to sort out the responsibility and divide up the blame or credit for flatness :biggrin:

===================

You could look a bit more closely, if you want, at the idea of flatness depending on the energy density being right. What is the "right" density at any given moment depends on the percentage expansion rate----to have spatial flatness there must be a balance between expansion rate and density.

If in some historical epoch the density is higher , then (to avoid curling up) the expansion rate must be higher. But it must not be too high or flatness will be spoiled as well. The density must always be just right for the expansion rate and viceversa. There is a simple formula that describes this balance.

It is called the formula for the "critical density" because it tells you what the right density to have is, for any given Hubble rate H. The formula is easy to derive from the Friedman equation. Probably you can look up wikipedia for "critical density (cosmology)" and find the formula.

Basically it says that the density rho has to be proportional to H2, the square of the fractional expansion rate.

There is a beautiful feature that if you start off in perfect balance, then you stay. If you start off right, you stay right. So what inflation ensures is that you start off close enough to right, for practical purposes in (nearly) perfect balance----and then she will stay (nearly) flat.

So both are the cause and they are the same cause---one is the historical event, far in the past, and the other is the presentday circumstance stemming from that early event.
==================

Look at this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedmann_equations
scroll down to the section on "the density parameter"
You will see the formula. They give the critical mass density. To convert mass density to energy density you multiply by c2. Just a conventional difference.

Last edited:
marcus said:
If I understand what you have in mind, then there is no need to distinguish because there are two types of causation. The two causes are not mutually exclusive.

So flatness itself is no proof of the occurance of inflation; flatness could well have been caused by the energy density alone.

And what is it that I hear about WMAP data ruling out the simplest inflationary models?

Ranku said:
So flatness itself is no proof of the occurance of inflation; flatness could well have been caused by the energy density alone.
The energy density of what, precisely? Different sorts of energy densities do different things. Inflation is proposed as a particular sort of field that behaves at early times very much like vacuum energy, and that sort of energy tends to dilute away curvature.

Ranku said:
And what is it that I hear about WMAP data ruling out the simplest inflationary models?
Well, it doesn't really. It comes sort of close to ruling out a perfectly-flat primordial power spectrum, which isn't really an expected feature in inflationary models anyway. Basically, because inflation has to end, we expect there to be some deviation from a perfectly-flat primordial power spectrum. A perfectly-flat primordial power spectrum was a pre-inflation idea that doesn't really have any physical basis.

Chalnoth said:
The energy density of what, precisely?

Energy density of dark energy + dark matter + regular matter + radiation

Ranku said:
Energy density of dark energy + dark matter + regular matter + radiation
Those energy densities as measured today would not have caused the universe to approach flatness in the past. Before about 5 billion years ago, the trend would have been away from flatness in that situation.

Chalnoth said:
Those energy densities as measured today would not have caused the universe to approach flatness in the past. Before about 5 billion years ago, the trend would have been away from flatness in that situation.

Do we know if the universe was flat before 5 Gy ago, i.e., before it started expanding acceleratively due to dark energy? And if it was flat before 5 Gy ago, would that not be irrefutable proof of inflation? Or can the universe be flat before 5 Gy ago even without inflation?

Ranku said:
Do we know if the universe was flat before 5 Gy ago, i.e., before it started expanding acceleratively due to dark energy? And if it was flat before 5 Gy ago, would that not be irrefutable proof of inflation? Or can the universe be flat before 5 Gy ago even without inflation?
The change in curvature due to dark energy over that time has been extremely minimal. In order for us to be unable to measure any deviation from flatness at the current time, our universe had to be massively, absurdly flat in the very early universe (for example, when baryogenesis was occurring).

The change in curvature due to dark energy over that time has been extremely minimal. In order for us to be unable to measure any deviation from flatness at the current time, our universe had to be massively, absurdly flat in the very early universe (for example, when baryogenesis was occurring).

Sorry, I'm not getting any of this :(. Could you just tell me if there is observational evidence that the universe was flat before 5 Gyr? And if so, can we distinguish between if that flatness at that time was caused by dark energy or inflation?

Ranku said:
Sorry, I'm not getting any of this :(. Could you just tell me if there is observational evidence that the universe was flat before 5 Gyr?

The way that the equations work, anything that is not-flat gets more and more not-flat as time goes on.

There is a chart that illustrates this on this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatness_problem.

Now you might ask what happens if our understanding of gravity is wrong, which is a great question, but this sort of behavior tends to happen whenever you have any sort of attractive force. Once something is not flat, it gets more and more not-flat as time passes.

Dark energy doesn't help this. It makes the problem even worse.

And if so, can we distinguish between if that flatness at that time was caused by dark energy or inflation?

The reason for inflation is that if the universe is "sort of flat" right now, at some point in the past it had to be really, really, really flat.

Last edited:
Ranku said:
Sorry, I'm not getting any of this :(. Could you just tell me if there is observational evidence that the universe was flat before 5 Gyr? And if so, can we distinguish between if that flatness at that time was caused by dark energy or inflation?
If there is no observational evidence of deviation from flatness now, then there certainly isn't any evidence of any deviation as of 5 Gyr ago.

twofish-quant said:
Dark energy doesn't help this. It makes the problem even worse.
Huh? In what sense does it make the problem worse? It doesn't solve the problem, granted, but it does make the universe flatter as time goes on.

Chalnoth said:
Huh? In what sense does it make the problem worse? It doesn't solve the problem, granted, but it does make the universe flatter as time goes on.

Never mind. I think I got my signs mixed.

1. What is flatness and why is it important?

Flatness refers to the condition of a surface or object being completely level or smooth. It is important in many fields of science and engineering, as well as in everyday life, because it affects the accuracy and precision of measurements and the functionality of many objects and structures.

2. How can flatness be measured and expressed quantitatively?

Flatness can be measured using various tools such as a straight edge, surface plate, or optical flat. It is typically expressed as the maximum distance between the highest and lowest points on the surface, often referred to as the flatness tolerance. This tolerance is usually given in units of length (e.g. millimeters) and is determined based on the specific application or industry standards.

3. What causes flatness errors and how can they be minimized?

Flatness errors can be caused by various factors such as manufacturing processes, material properties, and environmental conditions. They can be minimized by using proper techniques and equipment during production, selecting suitable materials, and controlling environmental factors such as temperature and humidity.

4. What is the difference between flatness and other surface characteristics such as straightness and parallelism?

Flatness refers specifically to the overall levelness of a surface, while straightness refers to the linearity of a surface or object. Parallelism, on the other hand, describes the relationship between two or more surfaces that are supposed to be parallel to each other. Flatness, straightness, and parallelism are all important characteristics in different applications and should be measured and controlled accordingly.

5. How does the concept of flatness relate to the shape and geometry of an object?

Flatness is a crucial aspect of an object's shape and geometry. It determines how well the object conforms to a desired form or specification. For example, a flat surface is necessary for a door to fit properly into its frame, and a flat mirror is required for accurate reflection. In addition, flatness can also affect other properties of an object, such as its strength and stability.