Exploring the Correlation Between Thermal Conductivity & Molecular Weight

In summary, there is no correlation between thermal conductivity coefficient and molecular weight Mw. This is because thermal conductivity coefficient, measured in [K] W/(m·K), is independent of mass units. To demonstrate this, a graph can be created with thermal conductivity coefficient on the Y axis and Mw on the X axis, using data points from various substances. However, there may not be a clear correlation, and it may be helpful to plot data for specific groups of substances, such as alkali metals or metals in general. The graph provided, using Al, Cu, Ag, Au, and Pb, does not show a linear correlation, and it may be difficult to determine where to start in
Dell
is there any corrolation between thermal conductivity coefficient and molecular wieght Mw

according to the units [K] W/(m·K) it is independant of mass units (kg or g/mol etc)

in my question i am asked to show with a graph, but i have no idea what graph they are talking about

Physics news on Phys.org

Put thermal conductivity coefficient of Y axis and Mw on X axis and plot data points for any number of substances (the more, the better). Either there will be some obvious correlation or not.

You may also try to make a plot for some selected group of substances, like alkali metals, or metals in general.

Last edited by a moderator:

using

Al; Cu; Ag; Au; Pb

this is the graph i got
untitled.jpg

but how do i know if there is any correlation, i know its not linear,

1. What is thermal conductivity?

Thermal conductivity is a measure of a material's ability to conduct heat. It is the rate at which heat is transferred through a material when there is a temperature difference across it.

2. How is thermal conductivity measured?

Thermal conductivity is typically measured in watts per meter kelvin (W/mK). It can be measured using various methods, including the hot plate method, guarded hot plate method, and transient plane source method.

3. What is molecular weight?

Molecular weight is the sum of the atomic weights of all the atoms in a molecule. It is often expressed in grams per mole (g/mol) and is used to determine the mass of a substance.

4. How are thermal conductivity and molecular weight related?

The relationship between thermal conductivity and molecular weight is complex and depends on the specific properties of the material. In general, materials with higher molecular weight tend to have lower thermal conductivity because they have more tightly bound molecules that are less able to transfer heat.

5. What is the importance of exploring the correlation between thermal conductivity and molecular weight?

Understanding the correlation between thermal conductivity and molecular weight can provide insights into the thermal properties of different materials. This information can be useful in various industries, such as in the development of new materials for insulation, electronics, and energy production.