Mathematical treatment of analog electronics

In summary, the conversation discusses the request for a book recommendation on analog electronics that includes mathematical explanations. Various suggestions are made, including the books by Millman and Halkias, Kelley and Nichols, and Chua, Desoer, and Kuh. The conversation also mentions the need for a book that is suitable for a junior level student with a background in calculus-based circuits.
walk_w/o_aim
Hello.

I was wondering if anyone here could recommend a book on analog electronics that doesn't shy away from the math, but isn't too advanced for my level (electronics-wise, not math-wise).

For reference, I've gone through Floyd's Electronics Fundamentals (although I don't necessarily understand everything in the book), and I thought the math was a bit lacking, e.g. the charging/discharging equations of a capacitor were just given out of the blue. I want a book that would teach me this stuff in a mathematical way (a mix of intuitive and mathematical treatments would be great, but I'm not really holding my breath...). As for my math, I know multivariable/vector calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check out the book by Millmann and Halkias.

I am not familiar with Floyd's book, but it sounds like it tries to avoid really using differential equations very much. If this is true, then any of the standard circuits books will likely be fine. If you are at a university, find out what the standard texts are for classes, and perhaps look in the library to see what books fit your taste.

Personally, I learned from the book by Kelley and Nichols, which was teh text used when I took the intro circuits class. It covers the basics very clearly, and also has a reasonable number of worked examples. I took differential equations at the same time as the circuits class and was fine, so your math background is not a problem. It is old-fashioned, in that it doesn't have glossy color pages and such, but it does include some discussion of the physics and the math. It is out of print, but used copies can be found online for a few dollars, so if you don't like it you aren't out much money.

Thanks for the replies.

Both books seem to be along the lines of what I was looking for, so all that's left for me now is to decide - I've taken a look at a preview of the Millman/Halkias book, but can't find one for the Kelley/Nichols book yet.

I actually took an electronics course at my current institution (2-year community college) that used Floyd as the textbook. I'm guessing the math wasn't extensive mainly because it was aimed at computer scientists who were looking for an intro to computer hardware (the college doesn't have too many engineering courses around...).

Thanks again.

there is one by leon chua too it gives in great details the formulation of diff eqs in second order non linear and linear circuits

barna said:
there is one by leon chua too it gives in great details the formulation of diff eqs in second order non linear and linear circuits

I think you are referring to "linear and nonlinear circuits" by chua, desoer and kuh. It is really good but quite advanced - for juniors at Berkeley. That was an optional book in a course I took (I didn't buy it - but I wish I had! ) so I am a little familiar.

A little lower level book is even older, "basic circuit theory" by desoer and kuh, which is also junior level. It basically assumes you have had calculus-based circuits already. It is a really nice treatment of the subject.

I thought the OP was looking for more of a true intro book, though, so both of these seem too advanced.

jason

jasonRF said:
I think you are referring to "linear and nonlinear circuits" by chua, desoer and kuh. It is really good but quite advanced - for juniors at Berkeley. That was an optional book in a course I took (I didn't buy it - but I wish I had! ) so I am a little familiar.

A little lower level book is even older, "basic circuit theory" by desoer and kuh, which is also junior level. It basically assumes you have had calculus-based circuits already. It is a really nice treatment of the subject.

I thought the OP was looking for more of a true intro book, though, so both of these seem too advanced.

jason

yes that's the one i was referring to..i guess ur right its a little advanced for a junior level student :)

1. What is the purpose of mathematical treatment in analog electronics?

The purpose of mathematical treatment in analog electronics is to provide a systematic and quantitative approach to analyzing and understanding the behavior of electronic circuits. It allows for more accurate predictions of circuit performance and can aid in the design and optimization of analog circuits.

2. What are the key mathematical concepts used in analog electronics?

Some key mathematical concepts used in analog electronics include calculus, differential equations, complex numbers, and Fourier analysis. These concepts are used to model and analyze the behavior of electronic components and circuits.

3. How does mathematical treatment help in troubleshooting analog circuits?

Mathematical treatment can help in troubleshooting analog circuits by providing a framework for identifying and isolating potential issues. By analyzing the mathematical equations and models of the circuit, engineers can pinpoint where a problem may be occurring and make adjustments accordingly.

4. Are there any limitations to using mathematical treatment in analog electronics?

While mathematical treatment can be a powerful tool in analyzing analog circuits, it does have some limitations. It relies on idealized models and assumptions, which may not always accurately reflect the real-world behavior of components. Additionally, it may not take into account non-linear effects and other complexities that can occur in circuits.

5. How can one learn to apply mathematical treatment to analog electronics?

One can learn to apply mathematical treatment to analog electronics through education and practice. Many universities offer courses on electronic circuit analysis and design, which cover the mathematical concepts and techniques used in analog electronics. Additionally, there are numerous textbooks and online resources available for self-study. It is important to also gain hands-on experience through laboratory work and projects to fully understand and apply mathematical treatment to analog electronics.