Higgs Boson Discovery Proves Standard Model: Exciting News from LHC

In summary, physicists at the LHC have discovered the Higgs Boson, which has the expected properties and many say confirms the Standard Model.
Char. Limit
Gold Member
You'll never believe it, but physicists at the LHC have discovered the Higgs Boson! It has the expected properties, and many physicists say that this proves once and for all the Standard Model.

"This truly is a momentous discovery," Steven Chu, Secretary of Energy for the U.S. said. "Now our physicists can get to work on more important things, like a cheap alternative to gasoline."

President Obama, in jubilation, has declared March 31st "National Elementary Particles Day" and declared that schools and work will be henceforth closed on this day to honor the completion of Physics.

"The only problem," he said, "is that soon all of those physicists will be out of a job. I mean, physics is done now. Right?"

Steven Chu reminded Obama about the many remaining challenges in physics, and the President quickly fell silent.

In other news, physicists are wondering if light energy exists to counterbalance dark energy.

"Newton's Third Law says that for every action, you have an equal and opposite reaction. So there may be light energy out there too," renowned physicist Steven Hawking was heard to say in a private interview.

source

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lol I guess its "that time of year" again

Actually, Fermilab scooped CERN by nearly three years with their discovery of the http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/UnNews:Higgs-Bozo_particles_detected_at_FermiLab. :wink:

I hate this day.

zomgwtf said:
I hate this day.

Me too... I was really excited for like, 3 seconds before I remembered what day it was...

I had like 10 texts last night from the LHC that looked exited in my sleepy state. I came on here and saw this, checked twitter to confirm. Sadly I was let down.

Good joke char.

Unfortunately for you char, I read the newspaper today and there was an article about CERN. They have set the record for highest energy collision, previously beating the last one by 3.5 times. They say it will be another two or three years until they run it at full power.

dacruick said:
Unfortunately for you char, I read the newspaper today and there was an article about CERN. They have set the record for highest energy collision, previously beating the last one by 3.5 times. They say it will be another two or three years until they run it at full power.

i was just thinking of that. they sounded really excited on their twitter feed a couple days ago. example:
http://twitter.com/CERN/statuses/11305883697

here's their press release
http://press.web.cern.ch/press/PressReleases/Releases2010/PR07.10E.html

Geneva, 30 March 2010. Beams collided at 7 TeV in the LHC at 13:06 CEST, marking the start of the LHC research programme. Particle physicists around the world are looking forward to a potentially rich harvest of new physics as the LHC begins its first long run at an energy three and a half times higher than previously achieved at a particle accelerator.

*snip*

CERN will run the LHC for 18-24 months with the objective of delivering enough data to the experiments to make significant advances across a wide range of physics channels. As soon as they have "re-discovered" the known Standard Model particles, a necessary precursor to looking for new physics, the LHC experiments will start the systematic search for the Higgs boson. With the amount of data expected, called one inverse femtobarn by physicists, the combined analysis of ATLAS and CMS will be able to explore a wide mass range, and there’s even a chance of discovery if the Higgs has a mass near 160 GeV. If it’s much lighter or very heavy, it will be harder to find in this first LHC run.

For supersymmetry, ATLAS and CMS will each have enough data to double today’s sensitivity to certain new discoveries. Experiments today are sensitive to some supersymmetric particles with masses up to 400 GeV. An inverse femtobarn at the LHC pushes the discovery range up to 800 GeV.
do little femtohorses live in a femtobarn? & do they eat femtohay? :tongue: they probably get that a lot

Last edited by a moderator:
MotoH said:
I had like 10 texts last night from the LHC that looked exited in my sleepy state. I came on here and saw this, checked twitter to confirm. Sadly I was let down.

Good joke char.

Well, as long as I got at least one person, I'm happy.

Of course, it was 1:30 AM when I wrote this. I'd probably change President Obama's comments on the matter if I really wanted to spread this.

20 bucks says that if you approached Obama with the discovery of a Higgs-Boson particle he would laugh and say something deflecftively funny like, "Lets leave that to the smart people".

It seems the Higgs Boson was found in a small group of three surrounded by several very large and scary looking monopoles...

1. What is the Higgs Boson?

The Higgs Boson is an elementary particle that is believed to give other particles their mass. It was first proposed by physicist Peter Higgs in the 1960s and was finally discovered by scientists at the Large Hadron Collider in 2012.

2. Why is the discovery of the Higgs Boson significant?

The discovery of the Higgs Boson is significant because it confirms the existence of the Higgs field, which is responsible for giving particles their mass. This is a crucial piece of the puzzle in understanding the fundamental forces and building blocks of our universe.

3. How was the Higgs Boson discovered?

The Higgs Boson was discovered by a team of scientists at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in Switzerland. They used high-energy proton collisions to recreate the conditions of the early universe and observed the decay of the Higgs Boson into other particles.

4. What are the implications of the Higgs Boson discovery?

The discovery of the Higgs Boson has far-reaching implications in the field of particle physics. It confirms the Standard Model of particle physics, which describes the fundamental particles and forces of our universe. It also opens up new possibilities for further research and understanding of the universe.

5. How does the discovery of the Higgs Boson impact our daily lives?

While the discovery of the Higgs Boson may not have direct impacts on our daily lives, it is a major step forward in our understanding of the universe and the laws that govern it. This knowledge can lead to advancements in technology and medicine in the future.