Why did these workers weep at a homeless man's funeral?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, a bagpiper was asked to play at a graveside service for a homeless man in the backwoods of Kentucky. He arrived late and found that the funeral director had left, leaving only the diggers and crew. Feeling guilty, he played 'Amazing Grace' for the man with no family or friends, and the workers were moved to tears. Afterwards, he learned about a similar tribute for a beggar man in Germany and reflected on the humanity shown towards those who were once deemed unworthy.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ugh, this story got to me. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

As a bagpiper, I play many gigs. Recently I was asked by a funeral director to play at a graveside service for a homeless man. He had no family or friends, so the service was to be at a pauper's cemetery in the Kentucky back country.

As I was not familiar with the backwoods, I got lost and, being a typical man, I didn't stop for directions. I finally arrived an hour late and saw the funeral guy had evidently gone and the hearse was nowhere in sight. There were only the diggers and crew left and they were eating lunch.

I felt badly and apologized to the men for being late. I went to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid was already in place. I didn't know what else to do, so I started to play.

The workers put down their lunches and began to gather around. I played out my heart and soul for this man with no family and friends. I played like I've never played before for this homeless man. And as I played 'Amazing Grace,' the workers began to weep. They wept, I wept, we all wept together. When I finished I packed up my bagpipes and started for my car. Though my head hung low, my heart was full.

As I opened the door to my car, I heard one of the workers say, "I never seen nothin' like that before and I've been putting in septic tanks for twenty years." Apparently I'm still lost...

Physics news on Phys.org
lol.

Outside of Heidenheim, Germany a path near our house lead to a marker "Bettlermansgrab," that is, "beggar man's grave." The man had been known to frequent the woods, but nobody knew his name.

One winter he was found deceased in the snow and a tribute raised in his honor. So much humanity for a place where such a person would have been put to death not so long ago.

:rofl: Thats a good one.

It is likely that these workers wept at the homeless man's funeral because the bagpiper's performance touched their hearts. The man had no family or friends to mourn his passing and the workers, who were used to dealing with death and burials on a regular basis, were moved by the bagpiper's heartfelt tribute. The music and the emotion it evoked may have reminded them of their own mortality and the importance of honoring and remembering those who may not have anyone else to do so. It serves as a reminder that every life is valuable and deserving of respect and dignity, regardless of their circumstances. The bagpiper's act of kindness and empathy towards a stranger brought a sense of humanity and connection to a seemingly lonely and forgotten funeral. It is a testament to the power of music and the ability for a simple gesture to bring people together in a moment of shared emotion.

1. What is a "Homeless Man's Funeral"?

A Homeless Man's Funeral is a funeral service held for a homeless individual who has passed away. It is often organized and paid for by a local community or charity organization.

2. Why is it important to have a funeral for a homeless person?

Having a funeral for a homeless person honors and respects their life, regardless of their circumstances. It also allows the community to come together and show support for those who may have been marginalized or overlooked.

3. Who typically attends a Homeless Man's Funeral?

The attendees can vary, but typically include members of the local community, volunteers, and friends or acquaintances of the deceased. Sometimes, local government officials or religious leaders may also attend.

4. How are expenses for a Homeless Man's Funeral covered?

The expenses for a Homeless Man's Funeral are usually covered by donations from the community or fundraising efforts by local organizations. Some funeral homes may also offer discounted or pro bono services for these types of funerals.

5. How can I get involved with organizing a Homeless Man's Funeral?

If you are interested in getting involved with organizing a Homeless Man's Funeral, you can reach out to local charities or organizations that work with homeless individuals. They can provide information on upcoming funerals and how you can volunteer or donate to support the cause.