Is an Engineering Studies BA useful?

In summary, an "Engineering Studies" BA is not accredited by ABET, and is mostly nonspecific. It would not help a Physics major land an engineering job, but may be useful for management positions.
chickenwing71
Is an "Engineering Studies" BA useful?

I'm going into sophomore year with a double major in Physics and Math, with a minor in Computer Science. I was looking through the course catalog reviewing my required courses, and noticed I could pick up an "Engineering Studies" degree with just three extra courses (Digital Logic, Circuit Theory, and Engineering Design/Project/Presentation). I'm just kind of curious what purpose the degree serves, and if it would help my resume at all.

It's not ABET accredited, and entirely nonspecific. Would it help a Physics major land an engineering job? Or is it more typically associated with management? Or is it one of those pointless degrees that can actually hurt you, being seen as a Tech degree? I'm at quite a small school, so there isn't some big name behind it. Just kind of curious, since I can't find any information on it online.

Physics news on Phys.org

At some point, saying "I have a degree in x majors" is no more impressive than "I have a degree in x-1 majors."

I can't speak for that degree, since I've never heard of it before, but I'd only take the extra classes if you plan to work as an electrical engineer at some point.

Engineering Studies sounds like BS to me. Pretty much anything that ends in studies does. Just take the classes you think are most interesting, and that you think may be useful or applicable. An employer can look at the specific classes you took to see if they think any of it is a credit to your resume. The first thing they're going to think when they see engineering studies is "what the heck is that", and then they'll look at what you actually took to find out the real information, so I don't think you should go out of your way to take those classes.

Yeah, I kind of expected it to be BS. I was just kind of curious if by some chance it was a somewhat known degree, but apparently it isn't. I'd probably be better off picking up an EE minor if I really wanted some engineering credits anyway.

It's amazing how many schools offer such pointless majors. I honestly don't understand some of them, like the "General Studies" major some schools have, for instance...

It's so they can get more people to go to their school, it's more money for them.

1. Is an Engineering Studies BA a useful degree?

Yes, an Engineering Studies BA can be a useful degree for various reasons. It provides a solid foundation in engineering principles and problem-solving skills, which are highly valued in many industries. Additionally, it can open up career opportunities in fields such as construction, manufacturing, and technology.

2. Can I get a job with an Engineering Studies BA?

Yes, an Engineering Studies BA can lead to a variety of job opportunities. Graduates can work in roles such as design engineer, project manager, research and development engineer, and more. The skills and knowledge gained during this degree program are highly transferrable and can be applied to many different industries.

3. How does an Engineering Studies BA compare to other engineering degrees?

An Engineering Studies BA is often more broad and interdisciplinary compared to other engineering degrees. It typically covers a wide range of engineering topics, rather than focusing on a specific branch of engineering. This can be beneficial for those who are interested in exploring different areas of engineering before deciding on a specialization.

4. What skills will I gain from an Engineering Studies BA?

An Engineering Studies BA can help you develop a variety of skills, including critical thinking, problem-solving, technical writing, and teamwork. You will also gain a strong foundation in math and science, as well as practical skills such as computer-aided design (CAD) and project management.

5. Can I pursue a graduate degree with an Engineering Studies BA?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a graduate degree in engineering with an Engineering Studies BA. However, some graduate programs may require you to have a more specific engineering background, so it is important to research the requirements of your desired program. Additionally, you may need to take some additional courses in a specific engineering field to meet the prerequisites for certain graduate programs.