Please set me straight about velocity based time travel

In summary, the conversation discussed a Hawkins program about time travel and how objects moving faster through space experience time slower. The example given was a trip to Alpha Centauri at 99.9% light speed, which would result in a few years passing for the occupants on the ship, but tens of thousands of years passing on Earth. The conversation also raised questions about this concept, such as whether two vessels traveling at different speeds would arrive at different times and if the vessel traveling slower would not experience time warping as much. The response clarified that this concept does not involve actual time travel and that different journeys through spacetime can result in different times measured by clocks. There are also similar discussions on the 'twin paradox' in this forum
bobbarker00
I just finished watching a hawkins program about time travel that theorized that the faster an object travels through space, the slower it moves through time. The example involved a trip to Alpha Centauri at 99.9% light speed. He claimed that although the trip would only take a few years to complete for the occupants on the ship, tens of thousands of years would have passed on earth.
I am not educated in physics, just a regular guy with a desire to learn, but I do have two questions about this concept that I would appreciate some clarification on-
1- Have I completely misunderstood the concepts outlined by this hypothetical?
2- If this concept is correct, let's say there are two vessels that left Earth at the same time to take the same trip to Alpha Centauri, one going 99.9% the speed of light and one going 1/2 the speed of light.
a. Would the vessel going closer to the speed of light arrive farther in the future?
b. Does that mean the vessel going slower wouldn't warp time to the same degree and therefore arrive earlier?
Again I'm sure that I have just completely misunderstood the concept, and I would appreciate being set straight on this matter.
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no time travel involved. Different journeys through spacetime will take different times as measured by comoving clocks. If two people go from A to B to A at different speeds or routes, their clocks might differ when they get together again.

See the many threads on the 'twin paradox' in this forum.

What is velocity based time travel?

Velocity based time travel is a theoretical concept in which an object or person can travel through time by altering their velocity or speed. This is based on the theory of relativity, where time is relative to an observer's frame of reference.

How does velocity based time travel work?

The idea is that by moving at a very high velocity, close to the speed of light, time can be slowed down for the traveler. This is known as time dilation. As a result, the traveler will experience time passing slower than those who are not traveling at such high speeds. This allows for the possibility of traveling into the future.

Is velocity based time travel possible?

As of now, there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of velocity based time travel. The theories and concepts behind it are still being studied and researched. While some scientists believe it may be possible in the future, others argue that it goes against the laws of physics.

What are the potential implications of velocity based time travel?

If velocity based time travel were to be proven possible, it would have significant implications for our understanding of space, time, and the universe. It could also have practical applications, such as enabling us to explore distant galaxies or potentially altering events in the past.

Are there any ethical concerns surrounding velocity based time travel?

There could potentially be ethical concerns surrounding velocity based time travel, such as the possibility of altering the past or creating paradoxes. It could also raise questions about who has access to this technology and how it should be regulated. However, since it is still a theoretical concept, these ethical concerns are purely speculative at this point.