Combinatorics - Permutations of abcdefg. Which is right?

In summary, the question is asking for the number of permutations of 4 to 7 letters chosen from a, b, c, d, e, f, g, with either two or three letters between a and b. The solution involves considering the different cases for 4, 5, 6, and 7 letter words and calculating the number of possible permutations for each case. The final answer is 232,640.
Alche

Homework Statement

How many permutations of the letters a, b, c, d, e, f, g have either two or three letters between a and b? b _ _ a is also very much possible.

Homework Equations

nPr= n!/(n - r)!, where n >= r

The Attempt at a Solution

For this question there can be 4 cases which are as follows

1)when there are 4 letter words,

a _ _ b

from among 5 remaining letters 2 can be taken in 5P2 ways which can be arranged themselves in 2! ways and a and b can also be arranged among themselves in 2 ways, so

5P2*2!*2! = 80

2)5 letter words, here can be 3 cases too which are as follow:-

A) a _ _ b _
B) a _ _ _ b
c) _ a _ _ b

letters can be arranged here as

(5P3*3!*2)*3 = 2160.

3) when 6 lettered words are formed

a) a _ _ _ b _
b)a _ _ b _ _
c)_ a _ _ b _
d)_ a _ _ _ b
e) _ _ a _ _ b

here the letters can be arranged as

(5P4*4!*2)*5 = 28800

4)when 7 lettered word is formed

a) a _ _ _ b _ _
b) a _ _ b _ _ _
c) _ _ a _ _ _ b
d) _ _ _ a _ _ b
e) _ a _ _ b _ _
f) _ a _ _ _ b _
g) _ _ a _ _ b _

(5P5*5!*2)*7 = 201600

So now am getting the answer as 232640.

Please tell me am I right? If not then where am I making mistake.

Physics news on Phys.org

I think you are wrong as there are no 4 letter words. All your words are 7 letters (we are talking about permutations after all). The question is: how many do we have with your restriction. When a and b are in the following place

a _ _ b _ _ _

we have 5! words (as there are 5 places left for the remaining letters). However a and b can be placed in more ways. Count them too. Your answer at 4) is in the good direction.

my answer

Thanks for replying.

I got it.

Last edited:

Apparently Alche is NOT talking about "permutations" but about both permutations and combinatiions combinations of 4 to 7 letters, chosen from a, b, c, d, e, f, g, with "either two or three letters between a and b".

HallsofIvy said:
Apparently Alche is NOT talking about "permutations" but about both permutations and combinatiions combinations of 4 to 7 letters, chosen from a, b, c, d, e, f, g, with "either two or three letters between a and b".

But in the question it is only mentioned about permutations of the letters, they have no where asked about the combination. I think I was not able to grasp what it was asking earlier, now I got it.

If am wrong then please correct me.

1. What is the formula for calculating the number of permutations of abcdefg?

The formula for calculating the number of permutations of a set with n elements is n!, where n is the number of elements in the set. In this case, the number of permutations of abcdefg would be 7! = 5040.

2. How do you know if a permutation of abcdefg is correct?

A permutation of abcdefg is considered correct if it includes all seven letters and does not repeat any of them. In other words, each letter must appear exactly once in the permutation.

3. Can the order of the letters in a permutation of abcdefg be changed?

Yes, the order of the letters in a permutation can be changed. For example, the permutations "abcdefg" and "cbadefg" are different because the letters are in a different order. However, the number of permutations will remain the same regardless of the order.

4. Is there a limit to the number of permutations of abcdefg?

Yes, there is a limit to the number of permutations of any set. In the case of abcdefg, there are 7! = 5040 possible permutations. This is because the number of permutations increases exponentially as the number of elements in the set increases.

5. How is the concept of permutations used in real life?

The concept of permutations is used in many areas of life, including mathematics, computer science, and statistics. It can be used to solve problems related to arranging objects in a specific order, generating unique codes or passwords, and analyzing data. It is also used in probability and game theory to calculate the number of possible outcomes in a given scenario.