Percent Growth of Exponential Function

In summary, the conversation discusses a quantity T that is comprised of two other quantities, L and B. Both T and B increase at a fixed percentage, with T growing at a higher rate than B. As n approaches infinity, the growth rate of L will approach the growth rate of T. The conversation also explores finding a function for X, the growth rate of L, in terms of the other variables. The final equation for X is found, but there is difficulty in determining its value as n approaches infinity.

Homework Statement

If there is a quantity T comprised of two other quantities such that T=L+B, and quantity T and B are both increasing in every period at a fixed percent such that %growth T > %growth B, it will be true that %growth L > %growth T. It will also be true that as n approaches infinity, %growth L will approach %growth T. I am trying to show this.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

T is the sum of two other quantities:

[tex]T=L+B[/tex]

In each period, T grows by the fixed percent g, while B grows by the fixed percent i, and L grows by a percent such that the first equation is true:

[tex]n=[0,\infty][/tex]

[tex]T_{0}(1+g)^n=L_{0}(1+X)^n+B_{0}(1+i)^n[/tex]

To take an example, if g=.1 and i=.05, then T will grow at 10% each year while B will grow at 5% each year. Thus, L must grow at a rate X%>10%. However, as n approaches infinity, X will approach .1. I want to find X as a function of the other variables and show that it approaches g as n approaches infinity:

[tex](1+X)^n=\frac{T_{0}(1+g)^n-B_{0}(1+i)^n}{L_{0}}[/tex]

[tex]n ln(1+X) = ln\left(\frac{T_{0}(1+g)^n-B_{0}(1+i)^n}{L_{0}}\right)[/tex]

[tex]ln(1+X) = \left(\frac{1}{n}\right)ln\left(\frac{T_{0}(1+g)^n-B_{0}(1+i)^n}{L_{0}}\right)[/tex]

[tex]e^(ln(1+X)) = e^[(\frac{1}{n})ln(\frac{T_{0}(1+g)^n-B_{0}(1+i)^n}{L_{0}})][/tex]

[tex](1+X) = (e^[ln(\frac{T_{0}(1+g)^n-B_{0}(1+i)^n}{L_{0}})])^\frac{1}{n}[/tex]

[tex](1+X) = [\frac{T_{0}(1+g)^n-B_{0}(1+i)^n}{L_{0}}]^\frac{1}{n}[/tex]

I can't get the latex to format so that the quantities I need are being displayed as exponents, but nevertheless, I end up with:

[tex]X = [\frac{T_{0}(1+g)^n-B_{0}(1+i)^n}{L_{0}}]^(\frac{1}{n})-1[/tex]

Where the fraction 1/n is in the exponent. So I think I've found X, but

[tex]lim X_{X\rightarrow \infty} = [\frac{T_{0}(1+g)^(\infty)-B_{0}(1+i)^(\infty)}{L_{0}}]^(\frac{1}{\infty})-1[/tex]

The 1/infinity on the right hand side of the above equation is suppose to be an exponent. Also, the numerator of the right hand side is:

To(1+g)^infinity - Bo(1+i)^infinity

I'm not sure how to find this as an indeterminate form.

Physics news on Phys.org
I made a notation mistake in my original post. The limit should be as n approaches infinity. So it'd be:

[tex]lim (X)_{n\rightarrow \infty} = [\frac{T_{0}(1+g)^(\infty)-B_{0}(1+i)^(\infty)}{L_{0}}]^(\frac{1}{\infty})-1[/tex]

However, I'm still stuck at this point.

What is an exponential function?

An exponential function is a mathematical function in which the independent variable appears in the exponent. It is represented by the formula y = ab^x, where a is the initial value and b is the growth factor.

What is percent growth?

Percent growth is the measure of increase in a quantity over time, expressed as a percentage of the initial value. In the context of exponential functions, it refers to the rate at which the function's output values increase.

How is the percent growth of an exponential function calculated?

The percent growth of an exponential function can be calculated by dividing the change in the output value by the initial value, and then multiplying by 100. The formula for percent growth is ((y2-y1)/y1) * 100, where y1 is the initial value and y2 is the final value.

What factors can affect the percent growth of an exponential function?

The percent growth of an exponential function can be affected by the initial value, the growth factor, and the time period over which the function is being evaluated. Other factors such as external influences or constraints can also impact the percent growth.

How is the percent growth of an exponential function used in real-life scenarios?

The concept of percent growth in exponential functions is used in many fields, including finance, population growth, and scientific research. It allows for the prediction and analysis of trends and patterns over time, and helps in making informed decisions and strategies.