Linear Trig Equation Word Problem

In summary, the conversation discussed finding values of t in the domain [0, 24] for which the function h(t) is less than 0. It was suggested to graph the function and use symmetry analysis to identify equivalent radians. The student expressed confusion about what this meant.
aeromat

Homework Statement

pg426-427-12.png

Homework Equations

doubleangleformulae.png

cmpdangleformulae.png

The Attempt at a Solution

The part I don't understand is what would be substituted (if anything) for the 24s? How will that be implemented to solve for the periods of time?

Physics news on Phys.org
You aren't supposed to substitute anything for the 24 seconds. That is the domain for t in this problem. The problem is asking, for what values of t in [0, 24], is h(t) < 0.

Ok so you would just graph it and use symmetry analysis to pick out the intervals right? Symmetry meaning look for radians that are equivalent in their values.

Graphing it would be a good start.

"Look for radians that are equivalent in their values." I don't know what that means.

1. What is a linear trig equation word problem?

A linear trig equation word problem is a mathematical problem that involves using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent to solve for an unknown variable. These problems typically involve real-world situations that can be modeled using linear equations and trigonometry.

2. How do I solve a linear trig equation word problem?

To solve a linear trig equation word problem, you first need to identify the given information and the unknown variable. Then, use the given information to set up an equation using trigonometric functions. You can then use algebraic techniques to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What are some common applications of linear trig equation word problems?

Linear trig equation word problems can be used to solve real-world problems involving angles and distances. For example, they can be used in navigation and surveying to determine the height of a building or the distance between two points.

4. What are some common trigonometric functions used in linear trig equation word problems?

The most commonly used trigonometric functions in linear trig equation word problems are sine, cosine, and tangent. Other trigonometric functions such as secant, cosecant, and cotangent may also be used depending on the specific problem.

5. How can I check if my solution to a linear trig equation word problem is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a calculator or graphing software to verify your solution graphically. Additionally, you can compare your solution to any given constraints or known values in the problem.