Parts of a cuboid after n cuts

• Thread starter gjorgensen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    parts
In summary, the conversation is about finding a recursive formula for the number of parts of a cuboid after n cuts and proving it. The attempt at a solution includes a 3D drawing program and a relationship for n >2. The formula R(n+1)=2R(n) - (R(n-1)+3) is found but does not work for n=0,1,2 and a non-recursive formula is desired. The suggestion is to find the general solutions to the "complementary equation" and then add a particular solution to the complete equation.
gjorgensen

Homework Statement

I have been asked to find a recursive formula for the number of parts of a cuboid after n cuts, and then prove my formula.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have through a 3D drawing program figured out a the number of parts after 8 cuts
cuts, parts

I have noticed a relationship for n >2, which is that R(n+1)=2R(n) - (R(n-1)+3)
However I am looking for a recursive formula which will work for all n, and I have no idea how to prove this...

I would appreciate all the help I can get!

In advance, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi gjorgensen! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
gjorgensen said:
R(n+1)=2R(n) - (R(n-1)+3)

However I am looking for a recursive formula which will work for all n …

(that is a recursive formula … you mean you want a non-recursive one! :wink:)

As with any https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=158" , first find the general solutions to the "complementary equation", in this case Rn+1 - 2Rn + Rn-1 = 0,

and then add any particular solution to the complete equation (guess a polynomial) :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

tiny-tim said:
hi gjorgensen! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

(that is a recursive formula … you mean you want a non-recursive one! :wink:)

As with any https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=158" , first find the general solutions to the "complementary equation", in this case Rn+1 - 2Rn + Rn-1 = 0,

and then add any particular solution to the complete equation (guess a polynomial) :smile:

Thanks a lot, but what I meant was that the recursive formula I stated does not work for n=0,1,2. And I know that there exists a recursive formula which works for all n. Any suggestions, or am I misunderstanding something?

again, thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a cuboid?

A cuboid is a three-dimensional shape that has six rectangular faces. It is also known as a rectangular prism.

2. How many parts does a cuboid have after n cuts?

The number of parts that a cuboid will have after n cuts depends on the number of cuts and the placement of the cuts. Generally, the number of parts will increase as the number of cuts increases.

3. How are the parts of a cuboid named after n cuts?

The parts of a cuboid are usually named based on their position in relation to the original cuboid. For example, the top part would be called the top face, the bottom part would be called the bottom face, and so on.

4. Is there a formula for calculating the number of parts of a cuboid after n cuts?

Yes, there is a formula for calculating the number of parts of a cuboid after n cuts. It is (n+1)^3, where n is the number of cuts.

5. What is the practical application of understanding the parts of a cuboid after n cuts?

Understanding the parts of a cuboid after n cuts is useful in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and geometry. It can help in visualizing and designing structures, as well as calculating volume and surface area of complex shapes.