Probability Prob,Given P(A)=0.5, P(A U B)=0.8 and P(A ∩ B)=0.1. Find P(A/B).

• Thread starter bcahmel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, to find P(A/B), we can use the equations P(A U B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A ∩ B) and P(x/y) = P(A ∩ B) / P(B). By solving for P(B) using the first equation and then plugging it into the second equation, we can find that P(A/B) = 0.25.
bcahmel

Homework Statement

Given P(A)=0.5, P(A U B)=0.8 and P(A ∩ B)=0.1. Find P(A/B).

Homework Equations

EQ 1: P(A U B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A ∩ B)
EQ 2: P(x/y)= P(A ∩ B) divided by P(B)

The Attempt at a Solution

Immediately my first thought is to solve for P(y). So using EQ 1, I solve for P(B) by plugging the variables in, which resulted in 0.4. Is this right so far?
Once I did this I just used EQ 2, dividing 0.1/0.4 to get 0.25, which was my answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
I did not check your numbers, but your method is correct.

thank you! that's all I wanted to know :)

1. What is the formula for calculating conditional probability?

The formula for calculating conditional probability is P(A/B) = P(A ∩ B) / P(B), where P(A/B) represents the probability of event A occurring given that event B has already occurred.

2. How do you interpret the given values of P(A), P(A U B), and P(A ∩ B)?

P(A) represents the probability of event A occurring, P(A U B) represents the probability of either event A or event B occurring, and P(A ∩ B) represents the probability of both event A and event B occurring.

3. How do you find P(A/B) given the values of P(A), P(A U B), and P(A ∩ B)?

To find P(A/B), we can use the formula P(A/B) = P(A ∩ B) / P(B). In this case, P(B) can be calculated by subtracting P(A ∩ B) from P(A U B), as P(A U B) represents the probability of either event A or event B occurring. Therefore, P(B) = P(A U B) - P(A ∩ B). Substituting this value into the formula, we get P(A/B) = (P(A ∩ B) / (P(A U B) - P(A ∩ B)).

4. What is the value of P(A/B) for the given values of P(A), P(A U B), and P(A ∩ B)?

To find the value of P(A/B), we can substitute the given values into the formula P(A/B) = (P(A ∩ B) / (P(A U B) - P(A ∩ B)). In this case, P(A ∩ B) = 0.1, P(A U B) = 0.8, and P(A) = 0.5. Therefore, P(A/B) = (0.1 / (0.8 - 0.1)) = 0.125.

5. What does the value of P(A/B) represent in this context?

The value of P(A/B) represents the probability of event A occurring given that event B has already occurred. In other words, it represents the likelihood of event A happening in a sample space where event B has already occurred. In this case, P(A/B) = 0.125 means that there is a 12.5% chance of event A occurring in a sample space where event B has already occurred.