Solving the Mystery of Convergence: \sum_{k=2}^{\infy}(\frac{1}{ln(k!)})

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the convergence or divergence of the series \sum_{k=2}^{\infty}(\frac{1}{ln(k!)}), with suggestions of using the d'Alembert ratio test and Raabe's test. One participant mentions Stirling's approximation as a possible method of solving the problem.
Emil_

Homework Statement

I need help to decide if the series below are convergent or divergent.

[tex]
\sum_{k=2}^{\infy}(\frac{1}{ln(k!)})
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the d'Alembert ratio test but the ratio is 1 if I calculated it correctly and then nothing can be said about the series.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you. I'll take a look on Raabe's test and see if I can work it out, but I'm pretty sure it could be done by another test since the course I'm taking doesn't teach Raabe's test.

have you heard of stirlings approximation?

lanedance said:
have you heard of stirlings approximation?

I think my teacher mentioned briefly an exact formula for n!, involving integrals of arctan etc. He said that the formula was rare even though it was derived 100 years ago, but I've not heard of stirlings approximation. However I think I can solve it using stirlings approximation, thank you!

Last edited:

What is the "mystery" behind convergence?

The "mystery" behind convergence refers to the mathematical problem of determining whether a series, such as the one given in the question, will approach a finite value (converge) or diverge (approach infinity) as more terms are added.

What does the notation \sum_{k=2}^{\infy}(\frac{1}{ln(k!)}) mean?

The notation \sum_{k=2}^{\infy}(\frac{1}{ln(k!)}) represents a series in which the terms are added from k=2 to infinity. The term being added is the reciprocal of the natural logarithm of k factorial.

What is the significance of the "k!" in the series?

The "k!" in the series represents the factorial function, which is the product of all positive integers from 1 to k. In this series, the factorial is being used to determine the number of terms in the series, as k increases.

How can the convergence of this series be determined?

The convergence of this series can be determined using various mathematical tests, such as the ratio test or the integral test. These tests involve comparing the given series to a known convergent or divergent series.

What are some potential real-world applications of understanding convergence?

Understanding convergence is important in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and finance. It can be used to model and predict the behavior of systems, such as population growth or stock prices. Additionally, it is essential for ensuring the accuracy and stability of numerical methods in computing and data analysis.