Solution of Bessel Differential Equation Using Bessel Function

In summary, the conversation discusses using Bessel functions to solve a Bessel differential equation. The first speaker asks for help showing that the Bessel function of order n is a solution of the equation, while the second speaker suggests using differentiation under the integral sign. The third speaker asks for assistance in solving the equation using Bessel functions.
Kopernikus89
Hello
I have the following problem:
I must show that the Bessel function of order [tex]n\in Z [/tex]

[tex]J_n(x)=\int_{-\pi}^\pi e^{ix\sin\vartheta}e^{-in\vartheta}\mathrm{d}\vartheta [/tex]

is a solution of the Bessel differential equation

[tex]x^2\frac{d^2f}{dx^2}+x\frac{df}{dx}+(x^2-n^2)f=0[/tex]

Would be very thankful for some help :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
well the first 2 summands equal 0 (i hope I've calculated this correctly) but its more a problem with the third one. how can i show that this will also become 0?

Let's call your right-hand-side [itex]F(x)[/itex]
Then: what do you get for [itex]F'(x)[/itex] and [itex]F''(x)[/itex]

Hello,
I'd like to know how to solve the ODE shown in the attached file using Bessel functions

I will be very grateful!

Attachments

• EQUATION.jpg
    EQUATION.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 468

1. What is a Bessel function?

A Bessel function is a type of special function that arises in many mathematical and scientific applications, particularly in problems involving circular or cylindrical symmetry. It is named after the mathematician Friedrich Bessel and is defined as a solution to the Bessel differential equation.

2. What is the Bessel differential equation?

The Bessel differential equation is a second-order linear differential equation that arises in problems involving circular or cylindrical symmetry. It is typically written as x^2y'' + xy' + (x^2 - n^2)y = 0, where n is a constant. It has solutions known as Bessel functions, which are used to solve many mathematical and scientific problems.

3. How do you solve the Bessel differential equation using Bessel functions?

The Bessel differential equation can be solved using Bessel functions, which are a set of functions that satisfy the equation. These functions can be expressed in terms of infinite series or integrals, and they have different forms depending on the value of the constant n. By finding the specific Bessel function that satisfies the given problem, the solution to the Bessel differential equation can be obtained.

4. What are the applications of Bessel functions?

Bessel functions have a wide range of applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used in problems involving heat transfer, electromagnetic waves, vibration analysis, and fluid dynamics. They also have applications in image processing, signal processing, and even in music and acoustics.

5. Are there any real-world examples of Bessel functions?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of Bessel functions. One example is the analysis of vibrations in a circular membrane, such as a drum head. The displacement of the membrane can be described using Bessel functions. Another example is the calculation of the intensity pattern of light diffracted by a circular aperture, which also involves Bessel functions. Bessel functions also appear in the solutions to the Schrödinger equation in quantum mechanics.