Numerical Boundary Conditions for Fokker Planck and Kramers equations

In summary: MaryIn summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of solving initial value partial differential equations, specifically the overdamped Schmoluchowski equation and the full phase space Kramers equation. The individual is using numerical methods and discretizations to solve the equations, but is having difficulty conserving probability, especially in the full phase space case. The conversation suggests checking for errors in the implementation and carefully considering the discretization of the boundary conditions. It also mentions that the additional terms in the Kramers equation may contribute to the difficulty in conserving probability and suggests comparing results to analytical solutions. Finally, the individual is thanked for their post and wished luck in their research.
rs12345
Hi Everyone,

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

I am trying to produce numerical solutions for the following initial value partial differential equations, namely the overdamped Schmoluchowski equation

[tex]\frac{\partial p(x,t)}{\partial t}=-\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(\frac{F(x,t)p(x,t)}{m\gamma}\right)+\frac{k_BT}{m\gamma}\frac{\partial^2p(x,t)}{\partial x^2}[/tex]

and the associated full phase space Kramers equation

[tex]\frac{\partial p(x,v,t)}{\partial t}=-v\frac{\partial p(x,v,t)}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial}{\partial v}\left[p(x,v,t)\left(\gamma v -\frac{F(x,t)}{m}\right)\right]+\frac{k_BT(x)\gamma}{m}\frac{\partial^2p(x,v,t)}{\partial v^2}[/tex],

where [tex]p(x,t)[/tex] is a probability density function, [tex]\gamma[/tex] is the damping coefficient, [tex]x[/tex] the spatial coorindate, [tex]v[/tex] the velocity, [tex]F(x,t)[/tex] the force upon the particle, [tex]m[/tex] the mass and [tex]k_BT[/tex] Boltzmann's constant multiplied by temperature which we will consider homogenous in the overdamped case.

I wish, for the time being, just to produce qualitatively sensible answers from a simple technique and so wish to do so using simple explicit schemes eg FTCS using a real space discretisaton.

Now, I have observed the 'correct' behaviour for the overdamped case by implementing FTCS, that is a central space derivative approximation approach and in the full phase space case by using FTCS for the derivatives with respect to [tex]v[/tex] and using an upwind first order discretisation for derivatives with respect to [tex]x[/tex] to avoid the known instabilites in a pure advection term (albeit at the cost of introducing some additional spurious diffusion).

I do however, seem to be unable to treat the boundary conditions properly. Since [tex]p[/tex] is a probability density function it must be conserved. I believe I am right in saying that in order to affect this I require zero divergence and thus

[tex]\frac{\partial p}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial p}{\partial v}=0[/tex]

on the boundaries. To do this on the boundaries I must set the relevant ghost points or boundary points to reflect this. Ie if there are N points on my grid ie would set [tex]p[N+1] = p[N-1][/tex] for the central space approximations. This would presumably then need changing for the upwind discretisations to reflect the slightly different approximation.

However, when I do this, even for the simple overdamped case (with only FTCS approximations) my probability is not conserved and either 'leaks' out or explodes in magnitude. To see where it was going wrong I started with the simple one dimensional diffusion equation

[tex]\frac{\partial p(x,t)}{\partial t}=\frac{k_BT}{m\gamma}\frac{\partial^2p(x,t)}{\partial x^2}[/tex].

Doing so resulted in a conserved probability with just some small net probability flow at the start of the simulation. I observed similar behaviour when implementing the simplied form of the overdamped equation

[tex]\frac{\partial p(x,t)}{\partial t}=\alpha\frac{\partial p(x,t)}{\partial x}+\frac{k_BT}{m\gamma}\frac{\partial^2p(x,t)}{\partial x^2}[/tex].

However, when I utilise the full overdamped equation with a spatially dependent force, this doesn't appear to work. For example if considering a harmonic oscillator I have

[tex]\frac{\partial p(x,t)}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(\frac{kxp(x,t)}{m\gamma}\right)+\frac{k_BT}{m\gamma}\frac{\partial^2p(x,t)}{\partial x^2}[/tex]

where [tex] k[/tex] is the spring constant. Why would this form not permit probability conservation using the technique I am using?

Could it be how I am discretising it? I have tried both

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(xp(x,t)\right)\simeq \frac{x_{i+1}p(x_{i+1})-x_{i-1}p(x_{i-1})}{2\Delta x}[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(xp(x,t)\right)\simeq p(x_i)+\frac{x_{i}(p(x_{i+1})-p(x_{i-1}))}{2\Delta x}[/tex].

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated along with any potential 'heads up' on potential issues when trying to make this all work in the full phase space situation with upwind discretisations or any other pointers in general!

Thankyou for reading!

Rich.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Rich,

Thank you for your post. It seems like you have a good understanding of the equations and their behavior, and are using appropriate numerical methods to solve them. The issue with probability conservation may be due to the discretization of the boundary conditions, as you have mentioned. It is important to carefully consider how the boundary conditions are being handled in order to ensure that they are accurately represented in the numerical solution. It may also be helpful to check for any errors in the implementation of the equations or the numerical method.

In terms of the full phase space Kramers equation, it is possible that the additional terms in the equation, such as the advection term and the spatially dependent force, may be contributing to the difficulty in conserving probability. It may be worth exploring different numerical methods or discretizations to see if that improves the conservation of probability.

In general, it is always a good idea to carefully check the boundary conditions and make sure they are accurately represented in the numerical solution. It may also be helpful to compare your results to analytical solutions or other numerical solutions to ensure that they are reasonable. I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

1. What are numerical boundary conditions for Fokker Planck and Kramers equations?

Numerical boundary conditions are mathematical rules used to define the behavior of a system at the boundaries of a numerical domain. In the context of Fokker Planck and Kramers equations, they are used to specify the behavior of the system at the edges of the numerical grid, in order to accurately simulate the behavior of the system as a whole.

2. Why are numerical boundary conditions important for Fokker Planck and Kramers equations?

Numerical boundary conditions are important because they allow us to simulate the behavior of a system within a finite domain, even though the equations that describe the system may be valid for an infinite domain. Without proper boundary conditions, the simulations may produce unrealistic results that do not accurately reflect the behavior of the system.

3. What types of numerical boundary conditions are commonly used for Fokker Planck and Kramers equations?

There are several types of numerical boundary conditions that can be used for Fokker Planck and Kramers equations, including Dirichlet, Neumann, and Robin boundary conditions. These conditions specify the behavior of the system at the boundaries in terms of the values of the solution or its derivatives.

4. How are numerical boundary conditions implemented in simulations?

Numerical boundary conditions are typically implemented by modifying the equations being solved at the boundaries of the numerical domain. This can involve adding additional terms to the equations or modifying the boundary values in order to accurately reflect the behavior of the system at the edges of the domain.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges associated with using numerical boundary conditions for Fokker Planck and Kramers equations?

One challenge with using numerical boundary conditions is that they may not accurately represent the true behavior of the system at the boundaries. This can lead to errors in the simulation results. Additionally, different boundary conditions may be more suitable for certain types of systems, so selecting the appropriate conditions can be a challenge.