Solving ordinary differential equation

In summary, the conversation was about solving a differential equation both numerically and analytically. The equation was a linear non-homogeneous first order differential equation with several constants. One method of solving it is by finding an integrating factor, which involves finding a function that simplifies the left side of the equation. The final solution involves an integral and a constant of integration. The conversation also included a request for further explanation and clarification on the process of integration by parts.
thavamaran
Hi guys! Attached is the differential equation that I want to solve both numerically and analytically, numerically done.

But analytically what method could I use? There is so many methods in differential equations. Please advice on this. Thank you very much

Attachments

• New ode.JPG
    New ode.JPG
    3.6 KB · Views: 436
Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation is
[tex]\frac{dZ}{dt}+ \Gamma\frac{I(t)}{qV}= Z(t)\left(\frac{-1+ \beta}{\tau_n}\right)[/tex]

Are [itex]\Gamma[/itex], q, V, [itex]\beta[/itex], and [itex]\tau_n[/itex] all constants? If so that is a "linear non-homogeneous first order differential equation" and there are a number of ways of solving it. For simplicity, I am going to write A for the constant
[tex]\frac{-1+ \beta}{\tau_n}[/tex]
and B for
[tex]\frac{\Gamma}{qV}[/tex]

Now the equation is
[tex]\frac{dZ}{dt}+ BI(t)= AZ[/tex]
or, equivalently,
[tex]\frac{dZ}{dt}- AZ= -BI(t)[/tex]

The simplest method is to find an "integrating factor". That is, find a function, u(t), so that the left side of that equation, multiplied by u(t), is simply
[tex]\frac{d(uZ)}{dt}[/tex].

Of course, by the chain rule,
[tex]\frac{d(uZ)}{dt}= u\frac{dZ}{dt}+ \frac{du}{dt}Z[/tex]
while just multiplying by u would make the left side
[tex]u\frac{dZ}{dt}- AuZ[/tex]

Comparing those, it is easy to see that we need to have
[tex]\frac{du}{dt}= -Au[/itex]
which is the same as
[tex]\frac{du}{u}= -Adt[/itex]

Integrating both sides gives ln|u|= -At+ C or
[tex]U(t)= e^{-At+ C}[/itex]

Since we only need one function, take C= 0 so that [itex]u(t)= e^{-At}[/itex].

That is, multiplying the entire equation by [itex]e^{-At}[/itex] we get
[tex]e^{-At}\frac{dZ}{dt}- Ae^{-at}Z= \frac{d(e^{-at}Z)}{dt}= -Be^{-At}I(t)[/itex]
and so
[tex]e^{-At}Z(t)= -B\int^t e^{-Ax}I(x)dx+ C[/tex]
or
[tex]Z(t)= -Be^{At}\int^t e^{-Ax}I(x)dx+ Ce^{At}[/tex]
where I have changed the "dummy" variable in the integral to "x" so as not to confuse it with the actual variable t. In particular, the two exponentials, one inside the integral and one outside, do not cancel. The upper limit on the integral is to indicate that the variable becomes "t" after the integration and the "C" is the constant of integration.

Of course, exactly what that integral is depends upon the function I(t) and, of course, you want to replace A and B with the original expressions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi HallsofIvy, thank you very much and you are simply great to offer such help. But I still have trouble with solving the part as attached.

Im having trouble solving [tex]e^{-At}\frac{dZ}{dt}- Ae^{-at}Z= \frac{d(e^{-at}Z)}{dt}= -Be^{-At}I(t)[/tex] where I am having trouble with integration by parts cause of the variables, its confusing me too much, can you explain to me a bit further on this, I am extremely sorry, but i have been trying to solve this since yesterday, deriving and reaching again to different types of false answers.

By the way, the equation is [tex]\frac{dZ}{dt}=\Gamma\frac{I(t)}{qV}+ Z(t)\left(\frac{-1+ \beta}{\tau_n}\right)[/tex] and for integrating factor it should be:

[tex]\frac{dZ}{dt}-Z(t)\left(\frac{-1+ \beta}{\tau_n}\right)=\Gamma\frac{I(t)}{qV}[/tex] .

thank you a millions times!

What is an ordinary differential equation (ODE)?

An ordinary differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a function changes over time. It involves the derivative of a dependent variable with respect to an independent variable.

Why is solving ODEs important?

Solving ODEs is important because it allows us to model and understand various phenomena in science and engineering. It also helps us make predictions and solve practical problems.

What are some methods for solving ODEs?

Some common methods for solving ODEs include separation of variables, Euler's method, Runge-Kutta method, and power series method. The choice of method depends on the specific equation and its initial/boundary conditions.

What is the difference between an initial value problem and a boundary value problem?

An initial value problem (IVP) is an ODE that has one or more initial conditions given at a single point, while a boundary value problem (BVP) is an ODE that has conditions given at multiple points. Solving an IVP requires finding a single solution, while solving a BVP requires finding a solution that satisfies all the given conditions.

Can all ODEs be solved analytically?

No, not all ODEs have analytical solutions. In some cases, the equation may be too complex or there may not be a known method for solving it. In such cases, numerical methods can be used to approximate the solution.