Evaluate integral around a closed contour of f(z) dz f(z)=(sin z)/z

In summary, the conversation discusses evaluating an integral around a closed contour with a given function, using the Residue Theorem. However, the textbook also suggests using the Taylor series expansion of sin(z) to solve the integral individually. It is mentioned that this approach can lead to a faster solution, as it would make the integral equal to zero.
blueyellow

Homework Statement

evaluate integral around a closed contour (C) of f(z) dz, where C is the unit circle centred at the origin and f(z) is (sin z)/z

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

well, the textbooks don't give a similar example

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, this problem is a direct application of the Residue Theorem.

[tex]
\int_C f(z)dz = 2\pi i \sum Res(f)
[/tex]
where
[tex]
Res(f) = Lim_{z\rightarrow c}(z-c)f(z)
[/tex]
where c is a simple pole of f. In your case c = 0.

thanks
but it appeared in a section of book chapters before they even start talking about the residue theorem
so what's the way to do this without using the residue theorem?
the book says i may use the formula:
sin z =sigma from j=0 to infinity [((-1)^j) ( z^(2j+1)))/(2j+1)]!
but how is that supposed to help?
the sigma sign and the j's leave me confused

sigma stands for summation. Are you aware of the Taylor series expansion of sin(z)? The book wants you to expand, and solve each integral individually

and from that i should eventually get to the answer 0.how am i supposed to get that? so if i expand, but the series goes on and on, i'll b doing integrals forever...
mayb i don't understand cos i havnt actually tried the question yet. i'll try it.. eventually

Well, you won't have to do integrals forever.

Try and prove the following -

[tex]
\int_C z^n dx = &0,\ n\neq-1; \\ &2\pi i,\ n=-1
[/tex]
That would immediately put all your integrals to zero!

1. What is a closed contour integral?

A closed contour integral is a type of line integral in complex analysis that involves integrating a function over a closed path or curve in the complex plane. This means that the starting and ending points of the path are the same, and the path does not cross over itself.

2. What is the function f(z) in this integral?

The function f(z) in this integral is (sin z)/z, which represents the ratio of the sine of z to z. This is a commonly used function in complex analysis and has many important applications.

3. How do you evaluate a closed contour integral?

To evaluate a closed contour integral, you must first parameterize the path of integration, then substitute the parameterization into the function f(z) and perform the integration using standard techniques. You may also need to use Cauchy's integral theorem or Cauchy's integral formula to simplify the calculation.

4. Why is the closed contour integral of (sin z)/z important?

The closed contour integral of (sin z)/z is important because it is closely related to the concept of the residue of a function at a point, which is a key concept in complex analysis. It also has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

5. What are some common uses of the closed contour integral of (sin z)/z?

The closed contour integral of (sin z)/z has many important applications, including in the evaluation of definite integrals, solving differential equations, and determining the behavior of functions near singularities. It is also used in the study of complex functions and their properties.