Ratio magnetic induction between 2 solenoids

In summary, the solenoids S1 and S2 have the same length, are made from the same material, and are connected to a DV source. S2 has a wire with double the diameter, causing it to have half the number of coils as S1. The ratio between the magnetic fields of S1 and S2 is 1/2, not 1/4 as previously thought. This is because the lengths of the two wires are the same, so the number of turns must also be the same. The question was misleading, as the important point is the equal length of the wires.
b_andries
We have 2 solenoids : S1 and S2
The coils are wind up as close as they can get and both have length L.
They are both made from the same material and have the same length.
They are both connected to a DV source.

S2 has a wire with a double diameter
The ratio between B1 and B2 then is?

I thought the answer here was 1/2 but it was 1/4
My thoughts here were:
B1= (µ . I . n) / L
B2= (µ . 4I . (n/2) ) / L
(µ and L are constant and we can scrape them)

The current in S2 is 4 times bigger than S1 because according to pouillet the resistance is 4 times smaller.
( Solenoid 1 : R1 = (ρ) . L / (d/2)² * π
Solenoid 2 : R2 = (ρ) . L / (2d/2)² * π )

But then again S2 has to have half the number of the coils than S1 because the wire is double the diameter.

So B1/B2

B1= (µ . I . n) / L
B2= (µ . 4I . (n/2) ) / L ==> 1/2

What am I doing wrong here?

thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi b_andries! :smile:
b_andries said:
The coils are wind up as close as they can get and both have length L.
They are both made from the same material and have the same length.

But then again S2 has to have half the number of the coils than S1 because the wire is double the diameter.

the question is a little misleading

i think the important point is that the lengths of the two wires are the same, so the number of turns must be the same

(yes, i agree that if they are wound in a single layer, then there will be less room for the thicker wire, so there must be less turns, but i think the information about length takes precedence)

ok thanks than I understand it :)

What is ratio magnetic induction between 2 solenoids?

The ratio magnetic induction between 2 solenoids is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field produced by one solenoid compared to the strength of the magnetic field produced by the other solenoid.

How is the ratio magnetic induction calculated?

The ratio magnetic induction is calculated by dividing the number of turns in one solenoid by the number of turns in the other solenoid. This is known as the turns ratio.

What factors affect the ratio magnetic induction between 2 solenoids?

The main factors that affect the ratio magnetic induction between 2 solenoids are the number of turns in each solenoid, the current flowing through the solenoids, and the distance between the solenoids.

What is the significance of ratio magnetic induction in practical applications?

The ratio magnetic induction is important in practical applications because it determines the strength of the magnetic field produced by a solenoid, which is used in a variety of devices such as motors, generators, and electromagnets.

Can the ratio magnetic induction be greater than 1?

Yes, the ratio magnetic induction can be greater than 1 if the number of turns in one solenoid is greater than the number of turns in the other solenoid. This means that the magnetic field produced by the first solenoid is stronger than the magnetic field produced by the second solenoid.