Fundamentals of Physics - Halliday/Resnick - Difference between editions?

In summary, There is a debate about which edition of the physics textbook is the best for the class. Some students prefer the H/R 3rd edition from the 70's, while others prefer Alonso's text from the 60's. However, as long as the textbook uses SI units, any decent older version will suffice and be much cheaper than a newer edition. Whether or not a new text is needed for homework assignments is a separate issue, as borrowing one from someone else is also an option.
mcdowellmg
My class wants the 8th edition. Is there much of a difference between the older/cheaper versions? I really don't want to spend a lot of $$ if I don't have to!

Physics news on Phys.org
A lot of people here say that the H/R 3rd edition, published in the 70's, is the best. I disagree -- I like Alonso's physics text, published in the 60's, better.

They call it "classical" physics because it was pretty much settled 100 years ago. Any decent text that uses SI units should do just fine. Any two older texts will be much better than any single new one, at less than a tenth of the cost.

Whether you need a new text to do the homework assignments is, of course, a separate question. If you can borrow one from somebody else to get the problems, you're in like Flynn.

1. What are the main differences between the different editions of "Fundamentals of Physics - Halliday/Resnick"?

The main differences between the different editions of "Fundamentals of Physics - Halliday/Resnick" are usually updates to the content to reflect new advancements and discoveries in the field of physics. This may include new topics, revisions to existing topics, and updated problem sets.

2. Do the different editions cover the same material?

Yes, the different editions of "Fundamentals of Physics - Halliday/Resnick" cover the same fundamental principles and concepts in physics. However, the order in which the topics are presented may vary and some editions may have additional or updated content.

3. Which edition should I use for my studies?

The edition you should use for your studies will depend on your specific needs and preferences. If you are using the textbook for a class, it is best to use the edition recommended by your instructor. If you are studying independently, you may want to consider using the latest edition for the most up-to-date content.

4. Can I use an older edition of the textbook?

While it is always recommended to use the most recent edition of a textbook, using an older edition of "Fundamentals of Physics - Halliday/Resnick" should not significantly impact your understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles. However, be aware that there may be some differences in content and problem sets between editions.

5. Are the problem sets the same in each edition?

No, the problem sets in each edition of "Fundamentals of Physics - Halliday/Resnick" may vary. Some editions may have additional or updated problems, while others may have removed or revised problems. It is important to use the problem set assigned by your instructor or the edition that matches your specific course requirements.