Transform Your Career: Expert Tips for Choosing the Right Path"

• Thread starter arunmns
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career
In summary, Jake says that it's important to get some experience with circuits and protocols, learn about power systems, reliability, and so on. He also recommends taking courses related to the core electronics while working.
arunmns
Hi All,

I am 22years old and working in Software IT for past 1year but i am not satisfied with the job currently am doing.. My interest is towards my core Electronics since i have done my engineering in Electronics.. For Past one year i have never touched/refereshed anything related to electronics.. Also i got mentally depressed in working in thos software field and not able to perform the tasks given to me.. i need to change myself and my carrer as soon as possible..
i don't know what should i do nw.. Please Help/Advice me,,,

Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't want to completely abandon your place of employment (in this market, you'd do well to hang on to whatever you have), consider moving toward the telecommunications and networking side of the IT department.

Get some experience with how circuits and protocols are set up, how modulation schemes work, learn about power systems, reliability, and so on. As you progress more and more toward the telecom side, you might consider making the hop toward a telecommunications company.

This will take time. The other option is to go work for a place that appreciates your skill set better. Electronics is still valued for large scale stuff, such as substation design, motor design, and so forth.

Another alternative is to look into embedded systems. That could combine your skills learned in IT with the skills you might have with electronic design.

There are lots of options out there.

Hi Jake,

Thanks for the reply..,,
Is it better to do some courses related to the core electronics while working?
If so,.. Can you please guide me which course is better to learn!

I can't make any specific suggestions here. I can only relate what worked for me. For me, taking theory classes without any sort of every-day experience to hang it on was toxic and pointless.

I know lots of theory that is no use at all in the real world. I also know lots of practical stuff that theories can explain, but are difficult to predict. For example, how much capacitance using what kinds of parts should be used to decouple the power supply of a high gain audio amplifier? You don't learn that in an undergrad engineering class, and I'm not even sure that you'd learn it in a graduate course.

In another example, what are the significance of the current and voltage nodes in an antenna? Sure, anyone can design an antenna that will work the first day you put it up, but how do you keep corrosion from causing problems later?

So in my line of work, I found it very helpful to be working with an oscilloscope and a spectrum analyzer while studying Fourier and Laplace transforms. I read lots of practical design books in addition to my regular textbooks.

But that's how I learn. I tend toward the hands-on practical side of engineering.

Others tend toward the more theoretical side of things. They develop modeling programs that can predict many things in the future and they write articles about the limits to the rules of thumb used by people like me.

So for someone like that, I don't think a conventional work environment is particularly helpful.

But I mostly know the practical side, of things, not the theoretical side. Perhaps someone else could address that.

I understand the importance of being fulfilled and satisfied in one's career. It is clear that you have a strong interest in your core field of electronics and that your current job in software IT is not fulfilling that passion. It is not uncommon to feel lost or unsure about your career path, especially at a young age. My advice would be to take some time to reflect on your interests, skills, and values. What do you enjoy doing? What are you good at? What is important to you in a job? This self-reflection will help you narrow down your options and guide you towards a career path that aligns with your interests and values.

Additionally, I suggest reaching out to professionals in the electronics field for informational interviews or job shadowing opportunities. This will give you a better understanding of what the day-to-day work is like and help you make a more informed decision. It may also be beneficial to enroll in some online courses or attend workshops to refresh your knowledge and skills in electronics.

Lastly, don't be afraid to make a change. Your mental well-being and job satisfaction are important factors in your career. If your current job is not fulfilling and causing you distress, it is worth exploring other options. Remember, it is never too late to change careers and pursue your passion. Best of luck in your career journey.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a career?

When choosing a career, it's important to consider your interests, skills, values, and goals. Think about what you enjoy doing, what you are good at, what is important to you, and what you want to achieve in the long term. It's also helpful to research the job market and consider the potential for growth and job satisfaction in different industries.

2. How do I know which career is right for me?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. It's important to take time to explore different career options and gain experience through internships, job shadowing, or informational interviews. You can also take career assessments or work with a career counselor to gain insight into your strengths and interests and how they align with different occupations.

3. What if I am interested in multiple career paths?

Having multiple interests is completely normal and can actually be beneficial in choosing a career. You can explore careers that combine your interests or consider job options that allow for flexibility and the opportunity to pursue different passions. You can also prioritize your interests and consider which ones are most important to you in the long term.

4. Is it necessary to have a specific degree or education for a certain career?

It depends on the career you are interested in. Some careers require a specific degree or education, while others may place more emphasis on experience or skills. It's important to research the education and training requirements for your desired career and consider if you are willing to invest the time and resources to obtain the necessary qualifications.

5. What if I am unsure about my career choice after I start working?

It's normal to have doubts or second thoughts about your career choice, especially when you are just starting out. If you find yourself feeling unhappy or unfulfilled in your career, it's important to reassess and make changes if necessary. You can talk to a career counselor, seek advice from mentors or colleagues, or consider further education and training to switch to a different field.