Why is my bum itching after washing my jeans with cheap soap and cold water?

In summary, the group discusses one member's recent grumpiness and itching, which they realize is caused by soap not being rinsed out of their pants. They switch to shorts and the itching stops. The conversation also touches on underwear and the possibility of trousers having rabies.
tribdog
I think I've figured out why I've been so grumpy lately. My bum has been itching like crazy. I don't think all the soap rinsed out of that last batch of Levi's I washed. I couldn't figure out why I had a rash on my bum and inner thighs, I hadn't switched brands of adult diapers recently, but I spilled a drink on my pants today and they sort of lathered up on me. I've switched over to a pair of shorts and you'll be happy to know my bum is now free of welts.
the multiple scratches are making me grouchy now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you wear underwear?

Or were those also soapy?

Why am I asking this?

All I can think about is the * :yuck: * all over your keyboard.

At least it isn't the hair on your anus making your balloon hole itch.

Perhaps you're just missing something, tribdog.

Underwear. what a funny sounding word. Never heard it before.

tribdog said:
Underwear. what a funny sounding word. Never heard it before.

I prefer boxers, myself. But that's just me.

Maybe your trousers have rabies. It could happen. Causes all these marks all over you, froths up. Sure sign methinks.

What the hell is going on here?

If you're ever stuck in some thick undergrowth, in your underwear, don't stop and start thinking of what other words have "under" in them, because that's probably the first sign of jungle madness.

1. What is the effectiveness of cheap soap in cold water?

Cheap soap can still effectively clean in cold water, but it may take longer and require more scrubbing compared to using warm or hot water. This is because the active ingredients in soap work better in higher temperatures, but cold water can still help remove dirt and germs.

2. Will using cold water save money when using cheap soap?

Yes, using cold water with cheap soap can save money on your utility bills since you won't be using energy to heat up the water. However, as mentioned before, it may require more soap and time to achieve the same level of cleanliness as using warm or hot water.

3. Can using cold water with cheap soap kill germs and bacteria?

Yes, cold water can still help kill germs and bacteria on your hands or body when used with cheap soap. Soap works by breaking down the fatty membrane of bacteria, making them easier to rinse away. However, using warm or hot water can help kill more germs and bacteria compared to cold water.

4. Is there a difference in the lathering ability of cheap soap in cold water?

Yes, there may be a difference in the lathering ability of cheap soap in cold water compared to warm or hot water. This is because the active ingredients in soap work better in higher temperatures and can create more suds and bubbles. However, this does not affect the cleaning effectiveness of the soap.

5. Can using cold water with cheap soap damage my skin?

No, using cold water with cheap soap should not damage your skin. However, if you have sensitive skin, using cold water may cause dryness or irritation. It is recommended to use warm or hot water for cleaning your face and body, and only use cold water for rinsing after using soap.