Morse Code IC Timer for Intercoms

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a morse code ic timer chip or cascading 555's to create a system that allows access to an intercom with a simple code. They also mention the use of eproms and machine code. It is mentioned that using a PICAXE microcontroller could be a simple and affordable solution, as long as there is direct access to a port pin on the pc. The person is looking to modify their intercom and wants the electronics to be housed in the same plastic casing. They are considering powering the chip from the intercom or using a small battery.
username
Is there such a thing as a morse code ic timer chip or is the only way cascading 555's or something complicated like that. Eproms and machine code is ok if that's what it takes if its cheap and easy for my pc.

Only need maybe 3/4 pulses timed.

EDIT: want to modify my intercom into a system where you press the buzzer in way that let's me in with a simple code square wavish over time.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If your pc/os allows direct access to a port pins then it is pretty simple.
Set up your switch to provide the port pin high voltage.
Using the timer periodically poll the pin state.
Count the number of high states for your dash.
Count the number of high states for your dot.
Reset your pattern buffer after a certain period of inactivity.

Use say a PICAXE microcontroller

Thanks, one of those PICAXE chips should do the job nicely. I can not have my pc constanly connected to the intercom and really need the electronics in the same plastic housing. I could either power the chip from the intercom itself or use a small battery. Should be fun.

1. What is a Morse Code IC Timer for Intercoms?

A Morse Code IC Timer for Intercoms is a device that allows for the transmission of Morse code signals over an intercom system. It uses an integrated circuit (IC) to control the timing of the signals, making it easier for users to communicate using Morse code.

2. How does a Morse Code IC Timer work?

The Morse Code IC Timer works by using an integrated circuit to control the timing of the signals. It has inputs for the Morse code signals and outputs for the intercom system. When a signal is inputted, the IC timer converts it into a series of beeps or pulses according to the Morse code sequence and then sends it to the intercom system.

3. What are the benefits of using a Morse Code IC Timer for Intercoms?

Using a Morse Code IC Timer for Intercoms has several benefits. It allows for clear and efficient communication using Morse code, which can be useful in emergency situations. It also eliminates the need for manual timing and reduces the risk of errors in communication.

4. Can a Morse Code IC Timer be used with any intercom system?

Yes, a Morse Code IC Timer can be used with any intercom system that has the necessary inputs and outputs. However, it is always best to check the compatibility of the IC timer with the specific intercom system before use.

5. Is it difficult to learn how to use a Morse Code IC Timer for Intercoms?

No, it is not difficult to learn how to use a Morse Code IC Timer for Intercoms. The device comes with instructions and most models have a simple interface that is easy to understand and use. With a little practice, anyone can learn how to use it effectively.