Finding a Closed-Form Formula for the Commutator [J_-^n, J_+^k]

In summary, the conversation is about finding a closed-form formula for a commutator involving raising and lowering operators of the \mathfrak{su}(2) algebra. The speaker has made progress and obtained two relations that can be used to find a recurrence formula for the desired object. They are hoping for a closed-form formula and plan to continue their pursuit.
VGen128
Hello,

I am looking to find a closed-form formula for the following commutator
[itex][J_{-}^{n},J_{+}^{k}][/itex]
where the operators are raising and lowering operators of the [itex]\mathfrak{su}(2)[/itex] algebra for which [itex][J_{+},J_{-}]=2J_0[/itex] and [itex][J_{0},J_{\pm}]=\pm J_{\pm}[/itex]

I've already made some progress and I obtained the following relations, which can be proved by induction :

[itex][J_{-}^{n},J_{+}]=-2nJ_0J_{-}^{n-1}-n(n-1)J_-^{n-1}[/itex]
[itex][J_{-},J_{+}^{n}]=-2nJ_{+}^{n-1}J_0-n(n-1)J_+^{n-1}[/itex]

The two last relations can be used to find a recurrence relation for the object I wish to compute, but I am hoping for a closed form formula.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

VGen128 said:
Hello,

I am looking to find a closed-form formula for the following commutator
[itex][J_{-}^{n},J_{+}^{k}][/itex]
where the operators are raising and lowering operators of the [itex]\mathfrak{su}(2)[/itex] algebra for which [itex][J_{+},J_{-}]=2J_0[/itex] and [itex][J_{0},J_{\pm}]=\pm J_{\pm}[/itex]

I've already made some progress and I obtained the following relations, which can be proved by induction :

[itex][J_{-}^{n},J_{+}]=-2nJ_0J_{-}^{n-1}-n(n-1)J_-^{n-1}[/itex]
[itex][J_{-},J_{+}^{n}]=-2nJ_{+}^{n-1}J_0-n(n-1)J_+^{n-1}[/itex]

The two last relations can be used to find a recurrence relation for the object I wish to compute, but I am hoping for a closed form formula.
Use your recurrence formula to get the next few terms, guess from these the general form of the result,
and insert it into your recurrence formula to get recurrences for the unknown coefficients. If a nice closed formula exists, these recurrences should have a simple solution.

Ok ! Thanks.

I will pursue this...I'll post the result if I get something.

1. What is a closed-form formula?

A closed-form formula is a mathematical expression that can be written using a finite number of standard mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and exponentiation. It does not involve any infinite processes, such as infinite sums or integrals.

2. What is the commutator of two operators?

The commutator of two operators is a mathematical operation that measures how much the two operators "fail" to commute. In other words, it measures how much the order in which the operators are applied affects the final result. It is denoted by [A, B] and is defined as AB - BA.

3. Why is finding a closed-form formula for the commutator important?

A closed-form formula for the commutator can provide insights into the behavior of the operators involved and can help simplify calculations. It can also be used to study the properties of the operators and their underlying physical systems, as well as to develop new mathematical techniques and theories.

4. What is the significance of the J_-^n and J_+^k operators in the commutator?

The J_-^n and J_+^k operators represent the lowering and raising operators, respectively, in quantum mechanics. They are used to describe the angular momentum of a system and play a crucial role in various physical systems, including atoms, molecules, and nuclei.

5. Is there a general closed-form formula for the commutator of any two operators?

No, there is not a general closed-form formula for the commutator of any two operators. The specific form of the commutator depends on the operators involved and their underlying properties. In some cases, a closed-form formula may not exist at all, and numerical or approximate methods may be used instead.