Why Did London Police Blow Up a Tourist's Car and Issue a Parking Ticket?

• News
  • Thread starter rollcast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, a London tourist had his car blown up by anti-terrorist officers after it broke down, and he was also given a parking ticket.
rollcast
...by anti-terrorist police and then given a parking ticket.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18447470

A London tourist had his car blown up by anti-terrorist officers after it broke down - and he was also given a parking ticket.

Nima Hosseini Razi, 32, said his Ford Mondeo had broken down in early hours of Wednesday close to the Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey.

He said he had left a note on the car to say: "This car is broke. Please do not fine me," before going sightseeing.

But when he returned hours later, "the boot was blown off".

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: "We can confirm there was a suspect vehicle at Storey's Gate at 10.20am on Wednesday and a controlled explosion took place... the incident was subsequently deemed as non-suspicious."

Westminster Conservative Councillor Daniel Astaire said: "On this occasion the driver was parked in a very dangerous place, on yellow lines, so police instructed our parking attendant to issue the driver with a ticket."

'Extremely arrogant'
Mr Razi, who is studying for an MBA at the University of Wales, said he had left a note on his car explaining: "Dear Sir or Madam, this car is broken. I am just waiting for the AA to arrive. Please do not fine! Thank you, yours sincerely."

He said he had gone off to visit some of London's sights, including Buckingham Palace, but when he returned to the car "the windows were smashed in pieces. I was completely shocked".

"Police wanted to remove the car. They covered the car with some of my stuff left in it.

"On the window, they had fined me."

He added: "The police's actions were extremely arrogant and unprofessional.

"They treated me like a terrorist. They were never interested in listening to my real story."

Scotland Yard has not responded to Mr Razi's comments.

Physics news on Phys.org
If someone is arrogant here it is Mr. Razi.

I find it hard to believe someone can be that naive at 32.

Well I have parked in London once, twice actually and I know for sure that there are issues with that. Never in the field of human conflict have so many owed so many parking fines to so few. It's a real mafia.

Could his name, race and religion have quickened the decision?

He was likely casing the district to see if a car bomb would work there.

Nobody breaks down and "goes sightseeing." They get their car properly towed to a service station.

This is brilliant.

Maui said:

You mean name, race and religion of the car, or the owner that abandoned the car and was nowhere to be seen?

He went sightseeing for hours instead of waiting for the tow truck? :uhh:

Maui said:
Since when are race and religion on a car title? Is there something that you know that the rest of us don't?

Evo said:
He went sightseeing for hours instead of waiting for the tow truck? :uhh:

Exactly.

London's quite a harsh place for cars thanks to there being so many of them in a densely populated city that wasn't really designed for them. So I don't have much sympathy for people who get fines unless there is a good reason for them to object.

But leaving a car parked near parliament in a clearly marked area is moronic. It's as bad as leaving your bag unattended in an airport and then being annoyed that it was destroyed.

Here is the London parking story that would explain my previous post.

Note that I won the court case

This doesn't seem like a PWA related topic.

Borek said:
You mean name, race and religion of the car, or the owner that abandoned the car and was nowhere to be seen?

Shouldn't you be able to tell the owner's name from license plate?

rootX said:
This doesn't seem like a PWA related topic.

Shouldn't you be able to tell the owner's name from license plate?

No. You can only tell what entity the car is registered to. Could be a Jane Doe, Hertz Car Rental Inc., etc.

Antiphon said:
No. You can only tell what entity the car is registered to. Could be a Jane Doe, Hertz Car Rental Inc., etc.
Or a Jimmy Snyder. For this reason, if for no other, I will not abandon my disabled car near Parliament in London and expect the windshield wipers to work as well as they used to.

Hey! Mr. Razi wasn't a total moron... at least he didn't leave a baby in a broken down Ford in front of Parliament.

1. What caused the car to blow up in London?

The car was blown up by a bomb that was planted by a terrorist group.

2. Were there any casualties from the car explosion in London?

Unfortunately, there were several casualties from the car explosion in London. Several people were injured and some were killed.

3. Was the car explosion in London a terrorist attack?

Yes, the car explosion in London was a terrorist attack. The police have confirmed that it was a deliberate act of violence by a terrorist group.

4. How did the authorities respond to the car explosion in London?

The authorities responded quickly to the car explosion in London by sending emergency services to the scene and launching an investigation to track down the perpetrators.

5. Are there any safety measures in place to prevent similar incidents in the future?

Following the car explosion in London, the authorities have increased security measures and surveillance in public areas to prevent similar incidents from happening in the future. They are also working on improving intelligence gathering and sharing to stay ahead of potential threats.

Back