Formula for lengths of a rectangle - why does it give both lengths?

In summary, the formula [P±√(P^2-16A)]/4 can be used to find the values of either of two different lengths of a rectangle, where P is the perimeter and A is the area. This is derived by solving two simultaneous equations and using the quadratic formula. The resulting solutions can be interchanged as the equations cannot differentiate between x and y. The perimeter of the rectangle would be 2x+2y. There may be a typo in the quadratic formula, but the overall derivation is correct.
autodidude
Why does the formula [P±√(P^2-16A)]/4 give the values of either of two different lengths of a rectangle? (P is perimeter and A is area)

I derived it by solving two simultaneous equations, A = xy and P=x+y and then applying the quadratic formula to the resulting second-order equation 2y^2 + Py+2A thus getting y=[P±√(P^2-16A)]/4

I tried out some numbers just to test it out and was surprised that both solutions were lengths of the rectangle, so it gave y but also x…I fail to see how this so, shouldn't it only give the length y (or x, if I'd eliminated y instead when I solved the simultaneous equations)?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The equations cannot 'know' which is x and which is y. If x = A, y = B is a solution then so is x = B, y = A.
Btw, the perimeter would be 2x+2y.

haruspex said:
The equations cannot 'know' which is x and which is y. If x = A, y = B is a solution then so is x = B, y = A.
Btw, the perimeter would be 2x+2y.

I believe its a typo, his derivation is correct in the quadratic formula, the quadratic had a sign error also

Hmmm...I guess that makes sense...I'll think about it, thanks.

for sharing your derivation of the formula for lengths of a rectangle. It's always important to understand the reasoning behind mathematical formulas.

The reason why the formula gives both lengths of a rectangle is because it takes into account the fact that a rectangle can have two different sets of dimensions that result in the same perimeter and area. In other words, there are two different solutions to the simultaneous equations A = xy and P = x + y.

Let's break down the formula to see how it works. First, we have the expression [P ± √(P^2 - 16A)]/4. The ± symbol indicates that there are two possible solutions - one with a plus sign and one with a minus sign. The expression inside the square root, (P^2 - 16A), represents the discriminant of the quadratic equation 2y^2 + Py + 2A = 0.

When the discriminant is positive, we get two real solutions for y, which correspond to the two different lengths of the rectangle. When the discriminant is zero, we get one real solution, which means the rectangle is a square. And when the discriminant is negative, we get two imaginary solutions, which do not correspond to the dimensions of a physical rectangle.

So, in short, the formula gives both lengths of a rectangle because it considers all possible solutions to the simultaneous equations and accounts for the different scenarios that can arise. I hope this helps clarify your understanding of the formula.

1. What is the formula for finding the lengths of a rectangle?

The formula for finding the lengths of a rectangle is L = 2W + 2H, where L is the length, W is the width, and H is the height of the rectangle.

2. Why does the formula give both lengths of the rectangle?

The formula gives both lengths of the rectangle because it takes into account the length of all four sides of a rectangle. By adding together the two widths and two heights of a rectangle, we get the total length of all four sides.

3. How can I use this formula to find the individual lengths of a rectangle?

To use the formula to find the individual lengths of a rectangle, you will need to know the width and height of the rectangle. Plug those values into the formula L = 2W + 2H, and solve for L. The resulting value will be the length of the rectangle.

4. Can this formula be used for any rectangle?

Yes, this formula can be used for any rectangle, regardless of its size or shape. As long as you know the width and height of the rectangle, you can use this formula to find its lengths.

5. Is there an alternative formula for finding the lengths of a rectangle?

Yes, there are other formulas that can be used to find the lengths of a rectangle, such as the perimeter formula (P = 2L + 2W) or the Pythagorean theorem (c = √(a^2 + b^2)). However, the formula L = 2W + 2H is the most commonly used and most straightforward method for finding the lengths of a rectangle.