[General Relativity] Find the acceleration of an object

In summary, the time component of the four-acceleration of an object moving with velocity v in the r direction is t'=\pm\sqrt{1+\frac{v^2}{1-\frac{b}{r}}}\:\:e^{\phi}
eoghan

Homework Statement

Given the metric
[tex]ds^2=-e^{2\phi}dt^2+\frac{1}{1-\frac{b(r)}{r}}dr^2[/tex]
find the time component of the 4-acceleration of an object moving with velocity v in the r direction.

The Attempt at a Solution

The four-velocity of the object is [tex]u^a=(t', v)[/tex]
where the prime stands for the derivative with respect to the proper time of the object.
I know that the four velocity satisfies [tex]g_{ab}u^au^b=-1[/tex] so I find
[tex]t'=\left(1+\frac{v}{1-\frac{b}{r}}\right)\exp(-2\phi)[/tex]
Now I use the formula
[tex]a^0=u^a\nabla_au^0=u^0(\partial_0\dot t+\Gamma_{0c}^0u^c)
+u^1(\partial_1\dot t+\Gamma_{1c}^0u^c)[/tex]
and I find
[tex]a^0=t'\dot\phi v+v\left[\dot\phi t'+\frac{v}{2\exp(2\phi)}
\frac{b/r^2}{\left(1-b/r\right)^2}\right][/tex]
where the dot stands for the derivation with respect to r and I've supposed that [itex]\partial_0 t'=\partial_1 t=0[/itex].
Could this be right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
eoghan said:
moving with velocity v in the r direction

Velocity v with respect to whom?

eoghan said:
I know that the four velocity satisfies [tex]g_{ab}u^au^b=-1[/tex] so I find
[tex]t'=\left(1+\frac{v}{1-\frac{b}{r}}\right)\exp(-2\phi)[/tex]

I get something a little different... perhaps you should show your calculation

George Jones said:
Velocity v with respect to whom?
With respect to an observer at rest who sees the metric [itex]ds^2[/itex]

gabbagabbahey said:
I get something a little different... perhaps you should show your calculation
I'm a little tired...I did some stupid mistakes :blushing:
The metric is
[tex]ds^2=-e^{2\phi}dt^2+\frac{1}{1-\frac{b(r)}{r}}dr^2[/tex]
and I get
[tex]
t'=\pm\sqrt{1+\frac{v^2}{1-\frac{b}{r}}}\:\:e^{\phi}
[/tex]
Now I'm going to correct all the others formula (I've also found an error in a Christoffel symbol :blushing: )...

eoghan said:
With respect to an observer at rest who sees the metric [itex]ds^2[/itex]

Sorry, but I don't know what this means. Do you mean "At rest with respect to an observer who has contant [itex]r[/itex]"?

George Jones said:
Do you mean "At rest with respect to an observer who has contant [itex]r[/itex]"?

I think that this must be the case. Another qestion. Is [itex]v[/itex] a coordinate velocity, or is it an actual physical velocity?

Here is a (slick) way to calculate relative physical (not coordinate) speed between two observers who are coincident at an event. Suppose the two 4-velocities are [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]u'[/itex]. Then, [itex]-\gamma = -\left( 1 - v^2 \right)^{-1/2} = g \left( u , u' \right) = g_{\alpha \beta}u^\alpha u'^\beta.[/itex] This is an invariant quantity, and, consequently, can be calculated using any coordinate system/basis.

This works in all coordinate systems in both special and general relativity.

In order to use this method, you first need to (easily) find the 4-velocity of an observer who sits at constant [itex]r[/itex].

George Jones said:
I think that this must be the case
Yes, I mean that. And v is the physical velocity.

George Jones said:
Suppose the two 4-velocities are [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]u'[/itex]. Then, [itex]-\gamma = -\left( 1 - v^2 \right)^{-1/2} = g \left( u , u' \right) = g_{\alpha \beta}u^\alpha u'^\beta.[/itex]
I don't understand this. If I am at constant r, then my four velocity is
[itex]u^a=(e^{-\phi}, 0)[/itex] while the 4-velocity of the moving object is
[itex] u'^b=(k, v)[/itex] with k chosen so that [itex]u'^bu'_b=-1[/itex]. Where am I wrong?

eoghan said:
[itex] u'^b=(k, v)[/itex]

This isn't correct. Is v the spatial component of 4-velocity in special relativity?

There two ways that you can do this:

1) in a coordinate basis;

2) in an orthonormal basis (like in the other thread).

1) In a coordinate basis, the 4-velocity of the stationary observer has components [itex]\left( e^{-\phi} , 0\right)[/itex] and call the components of the other 4-velocity [itex]\left( u'^0 , u'^{1}\right)[/itex]. Use the method I give above to find [itex]u'^0[/itex].

2) In an orthonormal basis, what are the component of the 4-velocity of the stationary observer? The components of the other 4-velocity are the same as the components of 4-velocity in special relativity. What are these?

Notes: you don't have to do 2) to do 1); don't confuse the two methods.

I got it! I used the coordinate basis method ad I've found the right answer
[tex]u'=(\gamma e^{-\phi}, \pm v\gamma\sqrt{1-\frac{b}{r}})[/tex].
But I don't understand why
[tex]-\gamma = -\left( 1 - v^2 \right)^{-1/2} = g \left( u , u' \right) = g_{\alpha \beta}u^\alpha u'^\beta[/tex]
In flat spacetime where [itex]u=(\gamma, \gamma v)[/itex] this is obvious, but how can you generalize it to a generic curved spacetime?

Great!

In the orthonormal basis, the components of the two 4-velocities are [itex]\left( 1 , 0 \right)[/itex] and [itex]\left( \gamma , \gamma v \right)[/itex], just like in special relativity. Consequently, [itex]u^\mu u'_\mu = - \gamma[/itex] in the the orthonormal basis. But, [itex]u^\mu u'_\mu[/itex] is a scalar, and thus its value is independent of basis. Consequently, [itex]u^\mu u'_\mu = - \gamma[/itex] in every basis, including a coordinate basis.

First of all, thank you very much for your help!
As you can see my knowledge of general relativity is very limited...
Why do you say that the components of the 4-velocities in an orthonormal basis is just like in special relativity? I'm studying GR on "Wald" and it doesn't explain these things

What is general relativity?

General relativity is a theory of gravity proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It describes how massive objects interact with each other and how gravity affects the fabric of space and time.

How does general relativity explain the acceleration of an object?

According to general relativity, the acceleration of an object is caused by the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of massive objects. The more massive the object, the greater the curvature and the stronger the gravitational pull.

How is the acceleration of an object calculated in general relativity?

The acceleration of an object can be calculated using the equations of general relativity, which take into account the mass and distance of the objects involved. This calculation is more complex than the traditional Newtonian equations, but it provides more accurate results.

Can general relativity explain the acceleration of objects in both small and large scales?

Yes, general relativity can explain the acceleration of objects in both small and large scales. It has been tested and proven in various scenarios, from the movement of planets in our solar system to the bending of light by massive galaxies.

How does general relativity differ from Newton's theory of gravity?

General relativity differs from Newton's theory of gravity in that it takes into account the curvature of space and time caused by massive objects, while Newton's theory only considers the mass and distance of objects. General relativity also provides more accurate predictions in extreme scenarios, such as near black holes or during the expansion of the universe.