Looking for answers about my cartesian diver

• Thread starter pnorm91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cartesian
In summary, the diver sank to the bottom of the bottle because the water pressure increased as it became trapped within the bottle as it became hotter. The diver was not affected by the air pressure outside the bottle.
pnorm91
Hello all,

I've got a quick question, I am sure it will be resolved by the first comment, but I'm just looking for a quick answer.
I brought home a pipette from my mothers lab last week and made a cartesian diver to show my wife, it worked perfectly for about 3 days, then yesterday afternoon (about 1) I left my home, and turned the air up to about 85°, my wife and I returned home about 10 p.m. and I noticed that the diver was at the bottom of the bottle. :confused:

My only guess is that the heat of the home caused the water to expand, but because it is trapped within the bottle, it had the same effect on the diver as the pressure applied from the outside. additionally, when I opened the bottle, some of the water squirted out, and the diver returned to the surface.

Thanks for any info!

Physics news on Phys.org
I've not heard of a cartesian diver before, sounds fun.

So I take it on the third day it was much hotter than the previous days? My best guess wold be the water would want to increase in volume with the increase in temperature (thermal expansion), but was constrained by the bottle, so its pressure increased. The air in the diver is compressible, so with the increase in water pressure the volume of the air in the diver reduces (and the pressure of the air increases too) so as you said, the diver sinks for the same reason as when you squeeze the bottle - more water in the diver. When you opened the bottle the water pressure normalised with the atmosphere and normal service was resumed. That would be my take, anyway. Is that what you were thinking too?

pnorm91 said:
My only guess is that the heat of the home caused the water to expand, but because it is trapped within the bottle, it had the same effect on the diver as the pressure applied from the outside. additionally, when I opened the bottle, some of the water squirted out, and the diver returned to the surface.

Could be expansion of the water but.. was there any air space at the top of the botle when you closed it? I reckon expansion of that air is more likely to blame for increasing the pressure.

there was some air in the top, just enough to keep from making a mess when I closed it. I am not really clear on a lot of principles of pressure and such, that was a really weak point in my studies of chemistry and physics, but I can't imagine it was due to air expansion because there was a total lack of air in the bottle when I unscrewed the lid. its all very confusing to me.
:confused:

Hello,

It is possible that the change in temperature caused the water inside the bottle to expand, creating more pressure on the diver and causing it to sink. When you opened the bottle, the pressure was released and the diver returned to the surface.

Another possibility is that there was a small air leak in the bottle, allowing air to escape and causing the diver to sink. When you opened the bottle, more air was able to enter and the diver resurfaced.

To prevent this from happening in the future, you can try using a thicker or more rigid bottle to reduce the effects of temperature changes, or make sure the bottle is completely sealed to prevent air leaks.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is a Cartesian diver?

A Cartesian diver is a classic science experiment that involves creating a small diver out of a pipette or straw, filling it with air or water, and then placing it in a bottle filled with water. The diver will sink or float depending on the pressure applied to the bottle, demonstrating the principles of buoyancy and pressure.

2. How does a Cartesian diver work?

A Cartesian diver works due to the principles of buoyancy and pressure. When the diver is placed in a bottle filled with water, the air trapped inside the diver is compressed by the pressure of the water. This causes the diver to sink. When the pressure on the bottle is released, the air inside the diver expands, making it less dense than the surrounding water and causing it to float back to the surface.

3. What materials do I need to make a Cartesian diver?

To make a Cartesian diver, you will need a plastic pipette or straw, a small weight (such as a paperclip), a bottle filled with water, and some tape. You can also use food coloring to make the water more visible and create a more dramatic effect. Optional materials include scissors to cut the pipette or straw and a marker to decorate the diver.

4. Can I make a Cartesian diver with different materials?

Yes, you can make a Cartesian diver with different materials. Instead of a pipette or straw, you can use a plastic bottle with the bottom cut off and sealed with tape. You can also use a small balloon or plastic bag instead of a weight. Experimenting with different materials can lead to different results and help you understand the principles behind the Cartesian diver even further.

5. What other experiments can I do with a Cartesian diver?

There are several other experiments you can do with a Cartesian diver. For example, you can change the density of the water by adding salt or sugar and observe how it affects the diver's behavior. You can also try changing the size or shape of the diver to see how it affects its movement. Additionally, you can use the Cartesian diver to demonstrate how submarines and other vessels control their buoyancy and depth in water.