[FEM-problem] Defining max. allowable load

• Thread starter Stevie G
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Load Max
In summary, to determine the maximum allowed distributed load p for this frame, you will need to obtain the global stiffness matrix, consider the yield strength and maximum allowable stress, and use the equation KQ = F to solve for the load matrix.
Stevie G
Hello to all!
I have this one and only obligatory FEM-course and tbh I'm having some hard time with it,
so I'm hoping that someone can help me out with this assignment.

Homework Statement

Define maximum allowed distributed load p when the own weight of the frame is taken into account. (Own weight is NOT included in p).
Use beam-elements of 2-dof.

(this must be solved with pen and paper so using e.g. Ansys isn't an option here)

http://oi49.tinypic.com/2r3yv4z.jpg

Homework Equations

KQ = F
K= global stiffness matrix
Q= displacement matrix
F= load matrix

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a feeling that first step would be to obtain the global stiffness matrix K.
Then, knowing the yield strength and max. allowable stress we are able to obtain the displacement matrix Q. (Are we?)

And then solve the load matrix F with KQ = F ?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

It sounds like you are on the right track with your approach. First, you will need to obtain the global stiffness matrix K for the frame. This can be done by using the stiffness matrices for each individual element and assembling them together to form the global stiffness matrix. You can find these stiffness matrices in your course materials or by doing some research online.

Next, you will need to consider the yield strength and maximum allowable stress for the frame material. This will help you determine the maximum displacement that the frame can withstand without failing. From there, you can calculate the displacement matrix Q using the global stiffness matrix and the maximum displacement value.

Finally, you can solve for the load matrix F by using the equation KQ = F. This will give you the maximum allowed distributed load p that the frame can withstand without failing.

I hope this helps and good luck with your assignment! If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

1. What is a "FEM-problem"?

FEM stands for Finite Element Method, which is a numerical technique used to solve complex engineering problems. In this context, a "FEM-problem" refers to a specific problem that can be solved using the Finite Element Method.

2. How is the max. allowable load defined in a FEM-problem?

The max. allowable load is usually defined as the maximum amount of force or weight that a structure or component can withstand without failing. In a FEM-problem, this is determined by running simulations and analyzing stress and strain patterns on the structure.

3. What factors are considered when defining the max. allowable load in a FEM-problem?

The max. allowable load is influenced by various factors such as material properties, geometry of the structure, boundary conditions, and applied loads. Other factors such as safety margins and design codes may also be taken into account.

4. How is the max. allowable load calculated in a FEM-problem?

The max. allowable load is typically calculated by running simulations using FEM software, which takes into account the factors mentioned previously. The results of these simulations can then be used to determine the maximum load that the structure can withstand.

5. Why is it important to define the max. allowable load in a FEM-problem?

Defining the max. allowable load is crucial in ensuring the safety and reliability of a structure. By determining the maximum load that a structure can withstand, engineers can design structures that can withstand expected loads and prevent catastrophic failures.