Temperature, brightness temperature, emissivity

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between temperature, emissivity, and wavelength for different materials in various environments. The speaker wants to know if they can calculate the temperature of iron if it had the same material as wood but in a different environment. The solution involves calculating the absorption and emission of radiation in equilibrium. However, the results may vary depending on the material's color and its ability to absorb and emit different wavelengths of light. The conversation also mentions the importance of emissivity being a function of frequency and temperature, rather than a single constant value for a material.
Ardit
Hello,

I have two different materials, wood and iron in two different environments. I have both the wood and iron temperature, respectively Tw, and Ti. I also know their emissivities, Ew, and Ei.

What I want to know is the temperature of the iron if it was wood (i.e. if its material was wood but standing in a different environment from the real wood)?
Does the solution have to do with the brightness temperature Tb whose relation with the real surface temperature Ts and emissivity E is: Tb=E(1/4) x Ts ?

Science news on Phys.org
The emissivities will depend on the wavelength, so does the incoming light. In general, you cannot calculate the answer with just those 4 values. However, if both materials are prefect gray bodies (emissivity is independent of wavelength), they will have the same temperature in the same environment.

OK, I do have the wavelength λ value for emissivity E. I also have another emissivity E' captured for another wavelength λ' for both the materials.
So, if we say that the materials are not perfect gray bodies, can I get what I am looking for with the data I have above?

Just 2 wavelengths? Not a full spectrum?

For all materials, you can calculate:
- The absorption as integral over emissivity multiplied by the radiation density.
- The emission as integral over the (temperature-dependent) Planck spectrum multiplied with the emissivity
In equilibrium, both numbers are the same, this allows to calculate the temperature.

Well, I have two spectral channels, one ranges from 10.780-11.280 µm and the other 11.770-12.270 µm. For both of them, I have the associated emissivities.
Integral...sounds scary to me. It's been years that I haven't dealt with them.

Well, I think you will need additional data (or some assumptions).

Consider a green car in green light at room temperature, for example:
The green car might reflect most of the green light. It is at room temperature, so its emission of visible light is negligible, and thermal emission is mainly infrared. It gets heated a bit, but not much.
What happens to a red car? It can absorb most of the green light. Its emission of visible light is negligible, and thermal emission is mainly infrared - the same as the green car. To counter the increased heating from the light, it has to get hotter.

Both cars can have the same emissivity in the infrared, and even the same emissivity for sunlight, but they will behave completely different in specific light conditions.

For the same reason, black cars get hotter than white cars in sunlight. Absorption in the visible light is completely different, but emission is mainly infrared, where the cars are not "black" and "white" any more.

Nice examples.
So, if we have two cars of the same material, shape and texture under the same conditions but one car is white and the other is black, will they have the same emissivities?

Emissivity is not a single number as material property - it is a function of frequency (or temperature, if you like).
The white car has a lower emissivity in the visible spectrum (not necessarily for every frequency, but at least in general) and probably a lower emissivity as 6000°C hot object (if it would be solid at that temperature...).

1. What is temperature?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. It is typically measured in degrees Celsius (°C) or Fahrenheit (°F) in everyday use, but in science, it is measured in kelvin (K).

2. What is brightness temperature?

Brightness temperature is the temperature of a blackbody that would emit the same amount of radiation as a given object or surface. It is a measure of the amount of infrared radiation emitted by an object, independent of the distance to the observer or the instrument used to measure it.

3. How is emissivity related to temperature and brightness temperature?

Emissivity is a measure of how well a surface emits thermal radiation compared to a perfect blackbody at the same temperature. It is typically represented as a value between 0 and 1, with 1 being a perfect emitter. Emissivity plays a role in determining an object's brightness temperature, as a higher emissivity will result in a closer match between the object's temperature and its brightness temperature.

4. How does temperature affect the emissivity of an object?

The emissivity of an object can be affected by its temperature. In general, the emissivity of most materials increases with temperature, but this relationship can vary depending on the specific material and its surface properties. Higher temperatures can also cause changes in the material's surface, which can alter its emissivity.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of temperature and brightness temperature measurements?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of temperature and brightness temperature measurements. These include the type of instrument used, the distance between the object and the instrument, the emissivity of the object's surface, and any atmospheric conditions that may affect the measurement. It is important to carefully consider these factors when making temperature and brightness temperature measurements to ensure accurate results.