Do communicating vessels work when water is moving?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of equalizing water levels in communicating vessels, specifically when one vessel contains a vortex or other water movement. A diagram is provided for reference and the question is raised about whether or not the vortex can be maintained without flow.
r6900
Hi
I want to know if the water level equalize in communicating vessels, when in one of the vessels there is a vortex, or any other water movement, and if the level does equalize, what will be the level?
I made a simple drawing:
2re1386.png

Here's a link for full size:
http://i49.tinypic.com/2gsn85h.jpg

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
r6900, Welcome to Physics Forums!

From the diagram it appears that the lower left container is shown as “having a vortex”. But that can’t be, because in order for a vortex to form the liquid needs to be flowing out through an opening (like a bathtub drain). The diagram shows only a tube connecting the two containers, so I can’t visualize any flow to maintain that vortex.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Bobbywhy said:
r6900, Welcome to Physics Forums!

From the diagram it appears that the lower left container is shown as “having a vortex”. But that can’t be, because in order for a vortex to form the liquid needs to be flowing out through an opening (like a bathtub drain). The diagram shows only a tube connecting the two containers, so I can’t visualize any flow to maintain that vortex.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

If you put an engine inside the water it creates a vortex.

1. How do communicating vessels work?

Communicating vessels work by allowing fluids to flow between two connected containers, maintaining the same level of fluid in each vessel. This is due to the principle of communicating vessels, which states that the pressure at any given point in a fluid is equal in all directions.

2. What happens when water is added to one vessel in a communicating system?

If water is added to one vessel, it will displace the same volume of water in the other connected vessel, maintaining the same level of fluid in both vessels. This is because the pressure at the bottom of both vessels is equal, causing the fluid to seek the same height in both vessels.

3. Can communicating vessels work when water is moving?

Yes, communicating vessels can still work even when water is moving. This is because the principle of communicating vessels still applies, and the pressure at any given point in the fluid is still equal in all directions. The only difference is that the fluid levels in both vessels may fluctuate as the water moves between them.

4. Why do the fluid levels in both vessels remain the same in a communicating system?

The fluid levels remain the same in both vessels because of the principle of communicating vessels. This principle states that the pressure at any given point in a fluid is equal in all directions. Therefore, the pressure at the bottom of both vessels is equal, causing the fluid to seek the same height in both vessels.

5. Are there any limitations to communicating vessels?

While communicating vessels can be a useful tool for understanding the principles of fluid pressure, there are some limitations to their application. For example, the vessels must be connected and have a constant cross-sectional area for the fluid levels to remain the same. Additionally, the viscosity and density of the fluid may also affect the accuracy of the fluid levels in both vessels.